Chapter 18

Jiwon might be physically present, yet her thoughts begged to differ.

Attention adrift, Jiwon's weary eyes wandered, her mind void of any thought nor comprehension. She sunk further into the comfort of the sofa, its smooth and silky upholstery caressing her bare legs. Jiwon squeezed her hands between her thighs and wished she wore something else than her white cotton shorts.

Although more than wishing she'd done better with her clothing choice, Jiwon wished she wasn't here, dealing with nonsense. Especially not at this time of the year, when all she wanted was a peaceful dwelling in respect to a memory forbidden to be uttered in this household.

"What about you, Ms. Jiwon. Who are you going to pick for your bridesmaids?"

Hyunjoo's voice snapped Jiwon out of her haze and Jiwon discreetly turned to her mother. Based on the pensiveness resting on her mother's face, she wondered whether Mrs. Kim was actually waiting for an answer, or merely being critical with her possible choices.

Jiwon shifted her attention toward the wedding planner. It took her seconds before the question fully sunk in, and Jiwon almost wheezed in mock laughter. Almost. Instead, she plastered an uneven smile to suppress her reaction.

She couldn't tell which reason she found more humor in - having no female friends or that the first people who came into her mind were So Eun and Yoongi's assistant, Hyangmi. Then, Ms. Geum also crossed her mind.

But Jiwon didn't want any of Mrs. Kim's icy and puzzled gaze that was always reprimanding. Especially not now.

So, with the lack of anyone else actually alive and breathing to suggest, and the fact that this planning was never important to Jiwon, she shook her head and glanced sideways at Mrs. Kim.

"I think my mother would have a better suggestion with the lineup," Jiwon replied.

"Is that so?" Hyunjoo hesitated and Jiwon nodded. "Alright, I'll take note. But you still have time to make revisions with everything."

Mrs. Kim was the one communicating with the planner instead of Jiwon herself - an advantage of not having to deal with everything and a disadvantage of abrupt schedules at the same time. Jiwon could only imagine how many more times the planner would visit their abode just to talk about never-ending wedding shenanigans. She could only imagine how many more times she'd have to feign interest whenever they'd talk about the fancy setup decorations and lightings for the setting, about the food to be served during the reception, about the giveaways for the guests at the end of the event.

Yet no matter how hard she tried to distract herself with all these thoughts, with everything she didn't really want to think about, the emptiness in her heart defiantly plunged back and this time, with a greater impact.

No, she could not divert her attention away from it. Not even for a minute.

The stigma associated with this current society was the fact that one single representative of a group often automatically qualified as the basis of judgment for the whole.

This generalization had long diminished the possibility of fairness in giving opinions, especially when the face of such criticisms were the prominent people who carried the infamous reputations, unmindful of the marks they notch.

While it was true that the reason behind this marriage arrangement for the Kims rooted from their ideals towards business relations and the opportunity for growth, perhaps the same should not be assumed for the Mins.

Jiwon hated to admit it, but lately, she found herself using lunch as an excuse for her daily drive to Yoongi's office. Her father wasn't a man who could be swayed by an argument, let alone one who would even give you an opportunity to drag him into one. Definitely not.