16| A Certain Female Adventurer (S)

"Hey, Sylvia?"

"Hm?"

"Open the window, will you? It's so dark and dusty in here"

The room becomes brighter as I push the wooden windows open. The fresh air caused some papers on a desk to rustle before settling gently back down in place. Sounds of metal clanging against metal from a blacksmith pounding his anvil, and the indistinct chatter of people passing below us can be faintly heard.

After a long journey, we finally arrived in Ishvea. This small village is located deep within the forest, so it's very isolated from other towns and villages. We're hoping there might be some work we could do while we're here.

"Better?" I ask.

A girl stretches as she stands up from the edge of her bed. The sunlight bounces off her golden hair in a way where it almost looks like its glowing.

She takes a deep breath and exhales.

"Very. Why did you have to pick a tavern that's so damn shitty? I'm suffocating from the smell of wine and beer everywhere."

"Adria, it's a tavern. Of course it's going to smell like that. It's what they sell."

Adria frowned when I told her the obvious.

"You know what I meant. This rundown shack doesn't hold a candle to the others we've been to."

"I think you're just too spoiled on town and city taverns. This place isn't that bad. Besides, we can't afford anything better, so just deal with it for now"

Adria just grumbles as I return to packing my bag. I hear the shuffling of metal and cloth as Adria equips her steel armor. Her armor isn't very large, it guards only part of the areas around her torso, arms, and legs.

I once asked her if she would want a full-body armor for better protection, but she refused saying that she prefers to being able to move instead of turning into an 'immobile log'.

Adria adjusts her breastplate and tightens the leather straps around her arms and legs. Afterwards, she pats herself down to check if anything is out of place. Seeing that everything is firm where they should be, she grabs her sword from the table and hoists it onto her waist.

"I'm all set and ready to go. What about you?" Adria says to me as I finish packing my bag with supplies.

"Almost. I need to double-check if I have everything we need."

Adria groaned when I said double-check.

"Well at least keep it short. You take forever to prepare."

"You're over exaggerating"

"Want me to count?"

"Are you willing to?

"No, but I'm trying to make a point here."

Adria walks across the room and opens the door leading to the hallway.

"Anyway, I'll go ahead and wait for you in the main lobby. Don't take too long."

She closes the door behind her and I'm left alone in the room.

With a sigh, I begin to sort through my knapsack slowly. It is important to always be thorough and prepared before one heads out, for you'll never know what may happen during your travels. That's what Koren always used to say.

I mutter under my breath as I list off the supplies. It helps me concentrate whenever I need something done.

"Medicals... check"