Chapter 14

Mornings. They can be good or bad. Sometimes you wake up totally wide-eyed and ready for the day, not feeling an ounce of sleepiness. Others, your eyes refuse to open and you just know that you'll be tired all day long. This particular morning started off like one of the latter types.

     When I woke up from another night of dreamless sleep, I found myself sitting hunched over with my head buried in my arms, my eyes crusted shut. I didn't bother trying to open them yet, knowing from experience that the sand in my eyes would try to attack my eyeballs. Waiting a few minutes to wake up a little more, eventually I lifted my head a little bit to start digging the sand from the corners of my eyes. Still groggy, I opened my eyes just a crack, only to pause.

     Through my eyelash-shrouded vision I could make out something dark gray in front of me, the blurry object unfamiliar to me. As I lifted my face a little more I saw trees, only adding to my confusion. My brain was still a bit foggy from just waking up, but I was relatively sure this wasn't where I'd fallen sleep. Frowning, I rubbed my eyes one more time before opening them fully so I could take in my surroundings. Once I did, I quickly realized I was in the passenger seat of some car parked facing some woods.

     Yeah, I definitely did not go to sleep here.

     Confused about how I got here, I suddenly froze as I heard a small grunt next to me, my blood running cold. Slowly I turned my head to the side, my eyes widening as I saw a male figure sitting in the driver's seat next to me, head buried in his arms and leaning against a pillow on the wheel. Crap. Instincts kicked in and I grabbed the handle of the door, but despite tugging it wouldn't open. Panicking, I tried a couple more times before finally noticing the lock was down.

     Just as I pulled the lock up, I heard the man grunt again followed by the intake of breath that accompanies yawns. "What the... where... whuh..." His voice was somewhat quiet, sounding groggy and slightly confused—kind of like how I felt. Not that I cared. I was just about to open the door when he spoke again. "What the—who are you!?" I froze as his voice suddenly rose in pitch, a chill running down my spine.

     Every instinct in my body screamed at me to run away now, but for some reason I didn't. Gulping, I instead slowly turned my head to face him and locked gazes with a pair of brown eyes. Within seconds they quickly widened in surprise, the man's face instantly mirroring my own expression of disbelief. "(N-Name)?" he whispered, his voice coming out as a stutter.

     "Tim...?" I whispered back.

     For a moment we just stared at each other, too stunned to speak. Maybe it was just the grogginess, but the whole scene felt surreal. It felt like just a few days ago we'd agreed to never meet again—in fact, I knew it was—but now here we were, sitting in a car staring at each other. Tim's face, slightly more rugged than I remembered, reflected my current confusion at this turn of events. As we sat there the pillow which had been resting on the steering wheel slid onto Tim's lap, the gentle thud apparently the perfect catalyst to break the spell of silence.

     "What the hell is going on?" he blurted, his voice quickly rising in pitch. "Where are we? Didn't we promise to never meet again!?"

     "How should I know!?" I snapped back, my own voice quickly rising as well. "I've never seen this place before! You're the one in the driver seat, isn't this your car?!"