Chance-1 *Unedited* *NEW*

PLS Re-Read I've changed almost everything!
Isaiah 43:2

-"Slag"
-"Sket"
-"Hoe"
-"Disappointment"
-"Disgraceful"
-"Dirty"
-"Shameful"

Those are only a prime examples of some of the insults  that had now embedded into Damilola's  new identity. It had not only changed the way people perceived her as , but also her own self worth and value.

She was no longer, the sanguine nor confident 17 year old anymore a couple of months ago: but had instead secluded and isolated herself from society completely due to her fear of encountering anyone from her past; who would bring back all the suffering and torture back into her life.

At just 5 months her son, Isaiah was the love of her life. In fact, the only person she believed kept her sane despite all the difficulties and challenges that she had encountered throughout her pregnancy and his arrival. He most importantly gave her a purpose and reason to continue living.

Staring, into the huge ikea mirror that was hung in front of her. Irritated, she grabbed the wide tooth comb which rested on her small wooden makeup desk- combing through her thick natural 4C curled pattern hair which had grown significantly: as a result of the chunky box braids she religiously kept her hair in.

Disgusted; she couldn't believe the image the mirror projected of herself. She once used to be this confident, yet vain individual who took pride in her appearance and mannerism around others.

Insecure- was most definitely the word to describe Dami, as she hated almost everything about herself from her rich dark chocolate complexion to her beautiful thick medium length kinky hair.

But that wasn't the only problem; with depression hitting her extremely hard at just 17- which was simply a product of all the abuse she had encountered in her pregnancy and the bullying at her old school: Dami was no longer the bubbly, happy and enthusiastic 17 year old anymore.

Fortunately for Damilola, despite all the mental health battles she encountered: she was still able to successfully succeed in her GCSEs with all A* to B grades. Leaving both her classmates, teachers and family members in shock.

Though, she had gotten outstanding GCSE results that summer; it was also, the summer that had changed her life forever. She couldn't even finish Year 13, as her head teacher at her Sixthform, found out about her pregnancy and decided to kick her out.

After 5 minutes of styling her hair into a low ponytail; studying her clear acne-free face. Damilola was honestly disgusted by her own reflection- though she was beautiful she struggled when it came to accepting it.

She didn't believe in abortion, so aborting Isaiah wasn't even in the picture as she believed that he deserved a CHANCE. At, just 16 she made one of the hardest decision which was moving into a one bedroom council flat with her cousin Cynthia  in Peckham.

Despite Cynthia just turning 21 at the time, she happily took in her cousin as well as  her nephew. Something her own elder brothers failed to do, by turning their backs on her as a result of the shame and humiliation. It stung Damilola, but all she could do now, was to prove them wrong by becoming the paediatric nurse: everyone swore and cursed she would never become.

The woman who had carried her nine months in the womb, the woman who was supposed to teach her motherhood, who promised to protect her, who promised never to leave her like the way her father did: recalling all the words that lingered from her sharp tongue, made the inner resentment that Dami had for her mother grow.