Chapter 16 - Wait... what exactly is he saying...?

Chapter 16 – Wait… what exactly is he saying…?

Lucy’s POV

I don’t know how long I stand there in shock, the phone still pressed to my ear. It feels like hours but can only have been a few seconds before, slowly, my brain starts to kick back into gear.

“They’ve been attacked,” I inform, already running towards the cover of the trees with Justin hot on my heels. By the looks of it, Beck (thankfully) has done as I asked and has stayed behind, probably already on his way to try and find out whatever else he can on these rogues.

“What? By how many, just a few or all eight of them?” Justin asks, but I shake my head.

“I don’t know,” I reply quickly, yanking my top off as fast as I can and not even caring that he’s stood right there. I just need to get back to the others… I need to go and find Amy. Amy… oh, god.

“Luce,” he says calmly, grabbing my hands before I can remove my shorts as well. “Lucy, what did she say? What happened?”

“I – I don’t know,” I repeat, pulling my hands away and knotting them in my hair, my voice not far from hysterical. I try to force down my panic, knowing that I need to keep a level head right now, but it’s not easy… “Um, she said something about going for a run and hearing screams, and then something about a rumour, but – but the signal was shit and she kept on breaking up so I don’t really know… and then I heard her screaming and it cut off and-”

“Hey, hey it’s okay,” he says, cutting off my half-hysterical fast ramble. “Lucy, look at me,” he removes my hands from my hair and forces me to look into his eyes. “She’s going to be fine, okay? She’s going to be fine.”

“I… I can’t lose anyone else like this, Justin, I just can’t!” I reply shaking my head, slightly less hysterical whilst trying to force the unshed tears back. This whole situation reminds me way too much of my parents as it is… I can’t lose Amy to a rouge as well.

“And you won’t, I promise,” he says, the certainty in his voice helping to calm me down some as he continues on. “What we need to do now is get back and find my dad, he’ll know what’s going on. Then we’ll go find Amy, okay?” I nod, not trusting my voice. “Okay. Now, let’s phase back and get home,” he finishes, turning away to allow me some privacy whilst I finish off changing. Once I’m done, I give him the okay before turning away. Within seconds he’s phased and next to me, and then we set off.

We push ourselves to go even faster than before but, this time, there’s absolutely no fun in it at all. When we do finally reach the borders, a number of unknown scents hit us all at once, and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out what the scents are. Rogues…

There isn’t the sound of any screaming, though, which is a good sign… right?

We both move slowly, listening out for any sounds of trouble, staying in our wolf forms until we’re sure it’s safe. I stick close to Justin, our shoulders practically touching, as we walk. I keep watch to the left of us whilst he keeps watch to the right, but there’s still no signs of danger. After a few more minutes, he seemingly decides it’s safe enough to phase back and so we do, each taking it in turns before we turn to look at each other.