Chapter 17 (Part 2)

*Aaron*

I arrive home and plop into the couch. I look around at my already clean apartment, regretting turning down Donovan. Why did he have to invite Colton? How did Colton get so close to my friends? Not only does he want to steal Vicky away, but he's started on my friends too. Can I have nothing?

My phone rings and Grace's name appears on the screen. I sigh, not really in the mood to talk to her. In case it's an emergency, I answer.

"Hey Grace." I say.

"This isn't going well." She says, her tone slightly annoyed.

"What isn't?"

"This girls day... thing. Remember? Me, Vicky, and Sophie are hanging out today."

"Oh yeah. Why isn't it going well? Is Sophie being complicated? She's usually behaves when Victoria is around."

"Sophie is perfect. It's Victoria who's the problem. I thought she was this incredibly nice and quiet girl, but I was wrong. She's a b***h, Aaron. She basically just called me a spoiled rich brat to my face."

I smile and try to refrain from laughing into the phone. I'm not sure what the full story is here, but obviously Grace did something to push Victoria over the edge. If I hadn't seen her snap at Fawn, I would never have thought she had it in her. Victoria is very sweet, but even the sweetest people have their limits.

"Well what do you want me to do about it?" I ask.

"I don't know." She mumbles. "I just... I don't think she's who you think she is. She's not as sweet as you believe."

"I know about her snarky side, Grace. I know everything about her. I think she's not who you think she is. I know it may be hard for you at first but be nice to her and you'll receive the same in return."

"Ugh. To you she walks on water."

"She's the love of my life, so she should." Grace goes silent and I check to see if we've been disconnected. "You still there?" I ask.

"You suck at comforting." She sighs. "Whatever. I guess I'll put on a smile and deal with her for the next couple hours."

"Wait. Before you go, can I talk to Vicky for a minute?"

"No. Are you crazy? If she knew I was talking to you, she'd pick up that something is wrong?"

"Isn't there?"

"I'm hanging up. Call her yourself." The line goes dead and I sigh. I really thought things would work out today with them. Grace seemed like she genuinely wanted to get to know Vicky, but if it's going like this, I don't think Grace is really trying. Why would she bother with this then?

I call Vicky myself and wait as it rings. Will she even answer the phone after how awkward last night was?

"Hi Aaron." She answers.

"U-uh hi." I stammer, surprised that she answered. I jump to sit up straight then remember she can't see me. I mentally punch myself and try to calm down. "How's your day going?"

"Um." She pauses. "It's going well." She lies terribly.

"You're a terrible liar." I laugh. "I know Grace can be a hard pill to swallow, but she's not all bad. If anyone can see the good in her, it's you."

"She's extremely rude, Aaron. She's already insulted me twice and it's only been a little over an hour. I'm honestly not sure I can last the rest of the day."

"I'm sure she's not intentionally trying to insult you. She's just really opinionated. That's all they are. Opinions."

"Well I wish she'd keep her opinions to herself."

"You and me both." She lets out a small laugh and my heart flutters a little.

"I have to go." She says. "Grace probably thinks I've ditched her."

"Did you?"

"Not really. I told her I was going to the restroom, but I'm really just hiding in the back to get a break. It's been about five minutes, so I think my time is up."

"Wow. You're really dreading this aren't you? How long do you have left?"

"Um, approximately 2 more hours. And that's if I last that long without snapping."

"You'll be fine. Spend most of the time with Sophie and try to have fun, okay?"
"I'll try my best."

*Victoria*

I hang up and put my phone away. The smile still lingers on my face from the short, but much needed phone call. I was sure he was still upset with me after the way I rejected him. I'm happy that he isn't, and our relationship is the same. I've already lost Colton, I don't want to lose Aaron too.

I finally leave my hiding place and head back to our table. Sophie fills out the kids placemat sitting in front of her as Grace looks through her menu.

"Everything here looks good." Grace says. "I have no idea what to get. Do you know what you have a taste for?"

"Honestly, I'm so hungry I'd be happy eating anything."

"Are you ready to order?" Our waitress asks.

"French toast." Sophie says quickly, barely looking away from her drawing.

"French toast for her and an omelet for me."

I thought she didn't know what to get for herself. She sure decided quick. I look through the menu quickly and decide on pancakes. The waitress takes our order and leaves to put it in.

"So, I've been wondering about this since last night. And you don't have to answer if you don't want, but can I ask why you broke up with your ex? Aaron made it sound like the two of you were so in love and inseparable. What happened?" She takes a sip of her water as she waits for my answer.

I don't want to answer. Not because it's hard to talk about, but because I don't feel close enough to reveal that information to her. I'm closer to Aaron and I haven't even told him.

"I don't really want to talk about it." I respond.

"Fair enough." She shrugs. "Breakups are a downer anyway. Let's talk about your mom's fashion career. Tell me how that's going so far."

Happy she's dropped the breakup and moved on to something happier, I tell her about my mom's job. If the rest of the day could continue to go smoothly without insults and casually getting to know about each other's lives, we'd stand a chance of becoming friends. But unfortunately, I doubt we'll reach that level. At least not today.