Chapter Seven: Sorting Hat

A/n: Could you share your thoughts with me? I'm welcome to feedbacks! Thank you so much!!! If you loved the chapter, I hope you vote and comment! Thank you! 💞💞💞

Harry Potter and the other new students were lead to a long, stone staircase after they have departed from their magical boats that stopped in front of Hogwarts Castle

Harry Potter and the other new students were lead to a long, stone staircase after they have departed from their magical boats that stopped in front of Hogwarts Castle. All first-year students excitedly walked until they have reached the door that would lead to the Great Hall.

"A professor will be guiding you in! Wait for her for a while and she will be the one to get you in the Great Hall," Hagrid informed all first-years before he left.

Every new student of Hogwarts was in awe when they saw the huge pair of doors of the Great Hall. The bronze pair of doors were enormous. While waiting for their guardian who would walk them in, Draco Malfoy stepped in front of Harry and walked closer to them. He noticed that Dudley was very much in awe of floating, lit candles while Harry seemed close to him.

"How do they float Harry?" Dudley asked Harry.

Harry was about to answer him when suddenly, Draco spurted out, "You have a mudblood cousin, Hero of the Wizarding World???? As if the story that you killed You-Know-Who was real!"

Other Muggle-borns who had pureblood wizard friends and knows what 'mudblood' meant felt insulted but they didn't try to talk back to Draco as they immediately feared his intimidating aura.

"As if you know what happened how the Dark Lord murdered my parents!" screamed Harry. "You don't have the right to call my cousin a mudblood even if you are a pureblood wizard!"

Draco felt really insulted when Harry spoke back to him. 

He controlled his anger and smirked. "That Mudblood would know that we're superiors no matter what and he'll learn it the hard way, soon. He might be vulnerable to me when he's alone and I can bully him all I want soon, anyway."

...

"Welcome to Hogwarts Castle, dear new students!" Professor Minerva McGonagall cheerfully said after she came to get the new students in the Great Hall already. 

She smiled at Harry at the time her eyes drifted to him. She opened the pair of doors already and soon, thousands of new students marched the Great Hall. They all stood at the center of the hall and saw a black hat sitting in front of the headmaster's table and the professors' table.

Snape smiled joyfully at Dudley and Harry when they got in. 

More floating candles welcomed them. Huge windows are in every corner of the hall that shows that it was truly dark out. Four long tables were inside and the tables are surrounded with other older students from second year to seventh year. 

Professor McGonagall stood at the center with a long roll of paper with the names of many students.

"What's that black hat, Harry?" Dudley asked him.

"It's the Sorting Hat. Dad said to me that it will be the one to choose what house we will be in but we could ask him to put us to a different house, too if we want," he answered him. Many students were called in including Draco who was sorted to Slytherin and Hermione to Gryffindor House. A lot more students were called that slowly, Harry and Dudley's legs feel so tired already due to a long time standing. Fifteen minutes later, Ron was called.

The sorting hat spoke, "A Weasley again??? Well then,  I know what to do with you---- GRYFFINDOR!"

A lot of students started clapping loudly for him and gave him a round of applause. His twin brothers, Fred Weasley and George Weasley clapped his back and congratulated him for becoming a Gryffindor, too. After that, Harry Potter was called.

Silence ensued as he walked down the aisle

Silence ensued as he walked down the aisle.  Harry sat on the stool and at the very moment the Sorting Hat is on his head, the hat found him really complicated. He was about to be a Gryffindor in which Harry begged since he got turned off in that house due to Draco Malfoy but at the time he learned that he can learn much more and be more cunning with the help of his guardian, he was sorted in Slytherin. 

It shocked many students but Snape was very much happy with the results as more people wanted him to become Gryffindor. Also, Albus Dumbledore thought Harry will also be in Gryffindor due to his biological parents being 'Gryffindors' but it looked like nurture prevailed over nature since the man that had been taking care of him was a student in Slytherin. 

A few more moments later, two more students were called- Ravenclaws- before Dudley sat at the stool. Harry's heart was beating so fast and he was nervous about the result. "Hmm... You are Harry Potter's Muggle-born cousin... A bit nervous but has a hint of love for animals. I could also sense some great loyalty to the people he interacts with and love for mother nature. I know what to do with you! HUFFLEPUFF!"

Harry was shocked by the result of the Sorting Hat. He can't believe that his own cousin will be far from him and he won't be able to protect him from bullies. He hopes that Dudley will be able to protect himself when he adapted well to the Wizarding World. Dudley sat among other Hufflepuffs and he was welcomed warmly by them. 

Due to how other students approached him, he was able to accept that he isn't a Gryffindor even if it was obvious that he was nervous to interact with other fellow wizards alone. His fellow housemates also promised that they would help him adapt as all Muggle-borns have problems adapting to a magical world. 

Also, a lot of Hufflepuffs were Muggle-borns and Half-bloods. Food appeared in front of them and soon, the feast began after Headmaster, Professor Albus Dumbledore gave his welcome speech. "Welcome students of Hogwarts! I hope you enjoy the whole school year. I must remind you that you have to always follow school rules and regulations. There are a lot of forbidden magical tools and if we see you possess some of them, they will be confiscated. The far side north forest is still forbidden to all students and you cannot go there alone." 

Dumbledore smiled at everyone and began introducing their new teachers. "There are still cursed rooms that are forbidden to students! Anyone trying to sneak in will have to deal with detention."

After his long speech, he officially opened the opening ceremony and they all began to eat the food served to them. Harry and Draco got to chat more and know each other until the feast was over. It was also that time that they realized that they may have just misunderstood each other.

...

A/n: Hoping you like this new chapter! I actually chose to make Harry be in Slytherin.