|CHAPTER 14: NEW MAN|

No one ever tells you
how much it hurts when you fall this far.

• • •

She wasn't sure why she was hesitant in the first place, truly she was having a great time.

He smiled at her, knowing that she was indeed enjoying herself just like him.

"You know I thought you would take me to a club," she laughed, eyeing the ferris wheel, wanting to go on the next ride.

"Why?"

When she gave him no answer, he made up one himself.

"Tony used to take you to clubs, huh?"

He smugly smiled hoping that she enjoyed herself here more, and then he would know that he had beaten Tony at something.

Making her happy.

"No actually. He never took me to clubs, or bars for that matter. He always knew that I hated alcohol, and stupid sweaty people, and so we avoided them as much as we could."

The last time she and Tony had went to a club was two years ago, and neither of them enjoyed it.

She thought that Tony would have a great time, but surprisingly he was scowling all night long, and took them home early.

Eyeing Jace, she noticed how his shoulders slumped in defeat, his eyes holding disappointment, and sadness.

"Oh. Well, where do you want to..."

She gave him a small shy smile before intertwining their hands together, pulling them towards the ferris wheel.

And in that moment he knew, that he was truly in love with her.

In love with everything about her.

***

"Don't you think it's late?" Rhodes asked Tony, as they drove to their destination.

"No, she always slept after eleven. She needs time to check her emails, and cook dinner. She sometimes works from home too-"

Rhodey quickly interrupted him before he stared reciting Evelyn's every move.

He looked at his best friend from the passenger's seat, a smile on his face, knowing that he was beyond whipped.

And Tony didn't even mind it.

The spark in his eyes was what shocked James the most, Tony was always so dull back at the tower.

Sure, he was the funniest and by far the most sarcastic member of the Avengers, but his eyes never held the tiniest bit of humour.

Not the tiniest bit of happiness, and maybe Stark knew that.

Rhodes wasn't sure, but he sure as hell never saw him this excited in over a year.

Tony had agreed to let him tag along to see Evelyn since he hadn't seen her since she got back, and he was willing to catch her before she left for Chicago again.