Chapter 1

There's no cursing in this book, I've been keeping myself from cursing so I guess this is a good start..?
~~~~~~

You remembered when your father used to bring you to his work back when you were a kid. Your ears were always filled with unending ringing of the telephone far away, multiple typing noises all around you, and humming of the coffee machine, waiting to do its job to fill a cup with energy-packed drink.

Occasionally, the lights would flicker, the air-conditioner would stop blasting out icy cold air, and the computers of many will be lagging, resulting in sounds of frustration coming from the workers as they raced against time to pass their work before the deadline.

Back when technology was so.... normal.

Memories faded away, and soon, you heard a soft sound coming from the coffee machine— one that is much better and much more advanced than that of the coffee machine back in your dad's old job. That old machine would occasionally spurt out piping hot liquid right on your hand instead of the mug, and your father would occasionally come home with his red hand rubbing against an ice pack he bought from a store. Thankfully, you never had to experience something similar to it.

You softly blew your hot cup of coffee, and the steam were quick to panic at the somewhat cooler air and moved towards another direction.

Once the top layer of the coffee was cool enough to your liking, you drew the cup to your lips, savoring the caffeinated drink you have been so acquainted with over the years, yet not once have you grown tired of it.

"Much better," you softly said to yourself, convincing yourself that a simple sip of coffee is a way to cure the eyebags underneath your eyes. You took another sip, moving away to give space for the next person who wanted to use the machine himself.

You walked back to your seat, and your eyes suddenly caught a sight of a certain man whom you are familiar with for quite a while now— if you can call a year or so of continuous partnership in many cases "a while".

"Morning, Anderson," you greeted the old man with a tired smile. It was a result of countless sleepless nights you miraculously have gone through over the past few days. Nothing you are not familiar with, of course, but nevertheless, you would never dare welcoming the lack of sleep with open arms. Though, the cup of coffee in your hands certainly worked like a charm.

Caffeine is the only way to get through the day. That is a fact that you have learned for the last years you have been working here. As a detective, not a single day is labeled as normal.

Not with androids around.

A frown fought the smile on your face and had taken its place. You never had a smile at the thoughts of cases regarding androids.

With technology evolving day by day and the human mind expanding for the greater good, it has been years since the very first android was created. Before you know it, androids are practically roaming around the streets, harmoniously living with humans.

"Harmoniously living." All would agree that harmoniously is a word not to be used in times like this, and you knew that by personal experience and the line of work you're on. Though, many do argue that android and "living" must not ever be in the same sentence.

"Morning, Pancake," Your partner in many cases nodded to you, not bothering to have an eye contact with you and have a proper conversation.... not that you wanted to have one anyways. Your eyes narrowed at the ludicrous nickname; nonetheless, you never bothered to correct him. It's a running gag in the station by now, and you have grown tired of shooting out threats at people.

With Hank Anderson, your partner in most cases, by your side, you've seen gruesome murders done by the artificial intelligence, which inflict fear upon society. These type of androids... they're known as deviants, and it is your job as a part of the police force to take care of them all. Whatever is a threat to the peace must be eliminated, and your opinion on androids?