p r o l o g u e

LUCIFER'S DARLING

LUCIFER'S DARLING

paranormal

[scanning file...]

║▌║▌║█│▌

[uploading file...]

[file successfully uploaded!]

< OPEN | IGNORE >

[00:00:01]

  ⑉  

"Please! No!"

Beep...Beep...Beep...

  ⑉  

It was the bitterness of the icy, cold wind that awoke me. Frosty air nipped at my skin with the ruthlessness of a wild animal, its teeth gnawing against my weakened flesh. My mind blurred at the numbing feeling. Everything in front of me was wobbling; frequently switching from clear to fuzzy frames.

Above me, the sky was a sheath of foggy film. It looked bloated and swollen, almost like an abused punching bag, and as I pulled my crumpled self up from the cobbled streets, my core muscles withering, a large crack of thunder rained above me - sending me flat to the uneven ground as pain washed over me.

My ears buzzed from the brutality of the sudden sound and my vision clouded over once more. It was overcast, blurry white and not a single familiar shape blinked back at me. Nothing resembled familiarity. Not the coffee-tinged cobbled streets, nor the grand white gleaming dome situated a few twenty yards away from me. Nothing.

Where was I?

"Um, excuse me?" a gentle voice spoke out from nearby, the strong note rode effortlessly over the crashes of waves that thumped in my ears. I tried to move towards the sound; it was soothing like fresh-running water found by a parched man, comforting almost.

The knowledge of not being alone in an unknown place softened the wounds in my head. I wasn't alone. I tried to move, only a wood-chipping crack of pain in my back prevented me. My tender muscles shrivelled beneath my bruised skin as they contracted in aiding my failed movements.

Shortly after the surge of nerve-splitting pain, a merciful hand came down and swooped underneath the bone of my elbow, pulling me up into a seated position. Pain seared through me, singeing my throbbing muscles to an over-fried crisp. My skin cracked, followed by the charred prod of my bones trembling inside of me. I had never felt this level of burning pain, ever.