-chapter thirteen-

johnny's pov

"Honestly though, it doesn't matter what you decide. Whatever makes you happier. You're a smart dude, you'll make the right decision." Kenzie smiles, her famous smile that lights up the dim living room.

"Thanks. You're really good at giving advice, you know that?" I grin at Kenzie and she rolls her eyes.

"If acting doesn't work out, maybe you should be a counselor," I tease, "I can see it already: Mackenzie Ziegler, advice for $20."

"Geez, John, who do you think I am? I'd charge $100, of course." Kenzie sticks out her tongue at me.

"Oh, right. You're so extra, I forgot." I raise my eyebrows at her, and she feigns offense.

"Excuse me?"

I laugh, and start tickling her. Her eyes widen as she giggles and tries to push me away. I don't relent, and she squeals.

"O-h my go-sh, John!" Suddenly, she jumps up and pushes me back. She sits on top of me and glares down at me, but her eyes are laughing. "Don't do that again!"

My mind flashes back to the time I said that to her. I put on a smirk and reply, like she did.

"Make me."

She makes a face at me. "If you're wanting me to kiss you like you did last time, it's not going to happen."

"C'mon, you know you wanna," I tease.

"Nuh-uh."

"You'll have to do more than that to make me stop, Ms. Ziegler." I reply back, stealing her line.

"I knew something would happen when we left," Maddie giggles with a smirk as she comes in with Lauren, carrying cans of pop.

Kenzie rolls her eyes and gets off of me. Reluctantly, does it seem?

"That's what they did last time!" Lauren says, wagging her finger at us.

"Such a flirtatious couple." Maddie grins devilishly, and then hands us our cans of pop.

I notice Kenzie doesn't say anything to protest. I don't either.

°°°°°°

"Hey, man. Sorry I was too drunk to say hi properly." Mark says.

I shift my phone to my other hand and stir the pot Mom's making dinner in. "You're good. It was nice to see you again."

"Yeah. Well, wanna meet up sometime? How about tomorrow? At the bar you saw me at yesterday?"

I shake my head and hand the ladel back to Mom. "Mark, man, you know I don't drink unless it's a special occasion."

"Isn't this a special occasion?"

"...no...hey, how about you come over to my house? 8:30 pm tomorrow? My family's going out then, so we can just chill."

Mark sighs on the other line. "Can I bring beer?"

"No, man. I can make you a latte, if you want." I chuckle.

"What are you, a sissy?" Mark laughs. "Fine, I'll be there. See you then."

I put my phone in my pocket and sit down on a kitchen stool.

"Who was that?"

"The guy we met yesterday. Yeah, not a good first impression, I know." I laugh, and mom does too. "He's an interesting guy. He's got some issues, but he's a loyal guy. Mark's fine."

"If you say so," Mom smiles. "I trust you."

°°°°°°

"Hey, man, what's up?" I grin and slap Mark on the back.

"Nothing much. Wha' 'bout you?" Mark swaggers into our living room and makes himself comfortable on our couch. "How's your sister?"

"Good." I'm instantly defensive. Mark wouldn't be a good fit for Lauren. "So, how'd you leave the Army?"

Mark grins. "Aw, nothing. What are you-"

There's a knock on the back door, interrupting us, and I jump up to get it. It's Mackenzie. I don't want Mark to see her; I'm defensive naturally. Like a sister...right...

I smile and step out to talk to her, closing the door behind me. "Hey Mackensis, what's up?"

"Sorry, were you guys busy?" Kenzie looks gorgeous tonight...I mean, like always.

"Oh, no, Lauren's out with my parents seeing a movie or something. My friend from the military is over to visit." I look back at the door, hoping Mark doesn't come out.

"Oh, ok. Laur wanted me to borrow this. Just remember to give it to her, once she gets back, okay?"

I nod and take the plastic bag from her with a grin. "I won't disappoint."

"Thanks, John." Kenzie steps forward and gives me a hug. I wish I could hold her forever.

"No problem, Kenz."

I hear a sound behind us, and we step apart as the door opens. Mark comes out. He looks Mackenzie up and down, and says, "Well, hello, there." Instantly, I'm annoyed.

"Uh, bye, Kenz, see you later."

"...yeah.." she smiles hesitantly, and looks at me and Mark and then runs down the porch stairs. Soon she disappears behind the fence.

"Who was that? You didn't say you had a girlfriend." Mark says, whistling under his breath. "She's gorgeous."

"She's not my girlfriend," I say stolidly.

"Ooh, so she's single?"

Not to you, jerk. I ignore him and go back inside. He follows me. "What, do you like her?"

"Like you said, she's gorgeous." I admit, hating myself for going along with this conversation.

"Uh-huh. So what's your dilemma, man?" Mark grins, and I immediately just want him to leave.

"Uh, I don't know..."

"Who is she?" Mark opens the curtain and looks out, hoping to see Kenzie again.

I sigh, trying to show him I want to get off this subject. "My next door neighbor. And...my sister's best friend." I don't say anything about their show.

"So do you like her?"

"I don't know, man." I move him gently away from the window and we sit back down on the couch.

"Well, come on, man, there are so many other fish in the sea. What, did you just fall in love with the first person you laid eyes on once you got back in the country? There are so many other gorgeous girls."

I supress the urge to give him a look and just nod. "Mhmm."

"You don't need to go after her. Leave her. And you really are a sissy. Falling for your sister's best friend? Your next door neighbor? What would Jacob say?" Mark laughs roughly.

He hit a sensitive spot. But what do I care about what Jacob would say? I shrug. "It doesn't matter."

"Naw, man, you gotta get a good girl. Like at a nightclub or somethin'."

I shake my head. "Yeah, whatever."

Just stay away from Mackenzie, okay Mark?

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

A/N: y'all like my new cover or nah