Moon Runes

(Y/n)'s POV
Night has fallen over Middle Earth and a council consisting of Gandalf, Elrond, Thorin, Balin, Bilbo and myself were standing in one of the halls of Rivendell.

"Our business is no concern of Elves" Thorin glared with Balin agreeing by his side.

Gandalf did not look pleased with Thorin's remark. "For goodness sake Thorin, show him the map!"

But of course Thorin kept bitch fighting. "It is the legacy of my people, it is mine to protect as are its secrets."

I decided to step in as the voice of reason. "The legacy of your people will be forgotten eventually if you don't have that map read and no secret will never truly stay secret" I shrugged.

But my speech did not fall on his ears in a positive way. For he gave me the evilest of death glares.

"I believe that this is non of your concern, who are you to talk about legacy, she elf" he spat. Before I could argue back, Gandalf interrupted me.

"Oh save me from the stubbornness of dwarves! Your pride will be your downfall. You stand here in the presence of one of the few people in Middle Earth who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond!" Gandalf raised his voice making me jump.

Thorin thinks quietly for a few seconds, with all of us looking at him. He began to hand the map to Elrond, but Balin tries to stop him. "Thorin no!" He cries in denial.

But Thorin brushes him aside and hands the map to Elrond anyways.

He studies it for a moment before looking at us. "Erebor. What is your interest in this map?"

Both me and Thorin go to answer but Gandalf beat us both.

"It's mainly academic. As you know, this sort of artefact sometimes contains hidden text. You still read ancient Dwarvish do you not?" He smiled at Lord Elrond who seems engrossed with the map.

As soon as moonlight hit the map, Elrond lifted his head in realisation.

"Moon runes"

Gandalf and I huff in understanding.

"Moon runes, of course" he breathed out. "An easy thing to miss" I nodded in agreement.

Elrond turned back to us with a small smile.

"Well in this case, that is true. Moon runes can only be read by the light of the moon of the same shape and season as the day on which they were written."

Thorin stepped forward with a hopeful look on his face.

"Can you read them?"

-Mini time skip brought to you by Arwen-

Lord Elrond led us to an area beside a waterfall with a beautiful large crystalline table.

"These runes were written on a midsummers eve by the light of a crescent moon, nearly two hundred years ago."

I stepped forward towards Lord Elrond and turned to Thorin with a smug smile.

"It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell, fate is with you Thorin Oakenshield, the same moon shines upon us tonight."

The moment I finished my sentence, the clouds had floated away from the moon and rays of moonlight hit the crystalline table. Which makes the light illuminate the map, which had been laid on the table.

The ancient runes became visible in a beautiful blue light.

"Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shines upon  the key hole" Elrond translated, whilst I wrote down every word, who knows it might come in handy.

"Durin's Day?" Bilbo questioned, since it is not a Hobbit holiday.

"It is the start of the Dwarves' New Year," I started, making Thorin and Balin look at me in shock as if they didn't realise that I knew about Durin's Day, "it's when the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together" After that I stopped listening until Balin blurted out that we were trying to find a way into the mountains, causing me to facepalm.

"There are some who would not deem it wise" Elrond states.

"What do you mean?" Both me and Gandalf asked.

Elrond looks over his shoulder at us. "You are not the only guardians to watch over middle Earth."