Chapter 40

Don't for get to love this chapter (:

A sense of loss and sadness washed over me

A sense of loss and sadness washed over me. A tie, a special bond that only a pack shares, had been forcefully ripped away, leaving an empty gap. Before I even crossed the border that welcomed me back into my territory, I could hear the mournful howls. They were singing a beautiful but sad song of death and despair, a horrific harmony.

Anger consumed me when I discovered who we lost, the soul in which I could not find of all those who were tied to me. It was Maybell. A young, carefree soul with a wide smile and bright personality. She was the daughter of a high ranked warrior. Her father was not one for smiles or laughs but he always seemed to be doing one of the two when she was around. She was special, just like everyone in my pack is. She held a special place in my heart and I will make sure that she will never be forgotten.

Sitting back on my haunches, I began to serenade to the sun, along with the rest of my pack. I let out throaty howls, letting them come from deep from within and portraying exactly what I was feeling. A response from my pack quickly follow, one howl after another, joining into the song once more. The first voice to respond to me was memorizing, something that captivated me almost instantaneously. My Luna, my mate, was voicing her own opinions, her own emotions on the matter, cursing the man who took something so innocent. 

We sat there and sang our song, honoring the youthful girl and prayed to the Moon Goddess for Maybell to have a safe passage into the afterlife. It eventually came to an end, pack members eventually needing to go back their jobs and daily routines. Plans for the burial are already being arranged.

Sticking my nose to the ground, I filled the metallic scent of blood, leading me to the gruesome sight. It seemed as if the grounds around my pack absorbed her essence of death, leaving the scent linger everywhere you go. When I got close, I shifted and put on clothes that were in my bag. Maybell's parents were holding onto each other, sobbing with the loss of their youngest child, their only girl. The mother was sobbing into the father's neck, looking anywhere but at their daughter. He stood looking emotionless but silent tears ran down his face as well.

Malia stood over the young girl's body but her gaze was focused on the rouge that now lie dead, just as Maybell. Her fur is coated with fresh blood, gleaming under the blinding sun. Her stance was protective, standing over the now lifeless Maybell, as if she were her own daughter. Her Luna instincts were kicking in, wanting to protect her fellow pack members and looking over ever child as if they were her own, taking over as a Mayberry figure for everyone. 

"Malia." I spoke softly so I wouldn't startle her and to let her know that I was here. "You need to step away from her." She growled threatening me and snapped at my hand when I tried to place a reassuring hand on her head.

"Malia." I said again. "I'm sorry but she's gone. Look." I spoke with an even and calm tone. "Her parents are here and need to see her. They need to be alone to say their goodbyes." She finally glance at the body that laid beneath her and cringed. I watched as her shoulders sagged and she moved from her stance, turning her head to look at me. The fight in her left and she walked over to where he parents stood.