Chapter 63

The windows had been blacked out, which didn't leave me with a lot to look at. I fretted at the unknown destination ahead of me. I didn't like the unknown, so this had me uneasy. I suddenly recalled that Ronan had been following us originally. He had to know that we were currently on an unplanned detour.

'Can I assume Ronan is more than a bit upset?'

"Furious is a more appropriate term. I was not aware of how extensive his vocabulary was until he saw the shuttle flying off and I told him you were in it."

Starsong still needed to work on his timing... 'I can probably imagine he picked up a few words in his line of work. I am not sure if he is going to be able to do anything though...'

"He is trying to follow without getting caught, but he will be some time in catching up. True invisibility isn't something that even the Starships have managed to come up with. The rest of the crew is rallying though, and they are also more than a bit upset. We are just waiting for those down in the city to make it back. The docking station keeps trying to block access to the main platform for safety's sake, but the guards keep encountering rather perplexing problems, and doors keep mysteriously opening."

'I can just imagine... What exactly will I be doing when I get to my next destination? Am I playing stupid or being the crafty Starship Captain that torments the suppliers?'

"You are a Starship Captain. That will never change. It was only a matter of time until they realized that the AIs they are obsessing about have allied themselves with humans in their own fashion. The crew knows what I am, and these people could have easily questioned any of them. The mindlink is about the only secret."

Even if I was able to talk freely to this group about the Starships, the upcoming meeting made me rather uneasy. 'I am not looking forward to this...'

"I will always be with you. Your Officers are already creating a rather public outcry against the unwarranted attacks while also proclaiming that the Deviant Monitoring Group has kidnapped their Captain and one of the other crew members. This group is going to be answering a lot of questions from the Intergalactic Space Commission when they get wind of this..."

That made me frown slightly. 'Are you sure that this is the Deviant Monitoring Group's doing?'

"Very certain. It takes a lot of authority to tell an Elite Destroyer to attack someone who has done nothing wrong. They are also about the only ones still fixated on the rogue AIs."

'Just how crazy is this group likely to be?'

"That is up for debate, and it will likely depend on which people happen to be present."

'Lovely...'

Starsong didn't respond, so I let the conversation lapse. My new guards made me appreciate Ronan's subtlety so much more. They never uttered a single word as they watched us. Cynthia was scared, and I couldn't exactly blame her. I was nervous and my palms were sweaty – and I at least had a protective shield. Well, at least until someone came to their senses and realized that we could be tracked with those communication devices...

The ropes on Cynthia's wrists bothered me. I asked, "Can you please untie her?"

Two of the men eyed me up, but I remained relaxed in my seat. The one man frowned at my apparent calm before turning to Cynthia and drawing a knife. Cynthia's eyes went wide at the sight of the weapon, although she didn't move as the man reached towards her. The razor sharp blade easily sliced through the ropes. He looked back at me with a challenging gaze, still not speaking.