LBAWP | Chapter 6

Are you ready to find out what Kaitlyn's up to?

Saffron

I stare at Kaitlyn suspiciously. It's on the tip of my tongue to ask her why she's helping me instead not turning me in, but I hold back. Something about this doesn't feel right. Not just that she's acting weird, but something else. The part where Beta said we shouldn't be on those stairs—not just me, both of us.

"What were you doing in the dungeon, Kaitlyn?" I ask, because even though no one actually said that's where the stairs lead, I'm almost positive I'm right.

"Same thing as you." Kaitlyn smirks, confirming that my guess was right, but not giving me much else.

"Which is what?" I ask. Because I know that whatever she thinks I was doing there is way off. I highly doubt Kaitlyn was also running from POW's interrogation, aka torture, or planning to hide out in the dungeon until nightfall. Which, come to think of it, was a horrible idea. If Kaitlyn hadn't been there to vouch for me, I'd probably be chained up and tortured as we speak.

"You want me to spell it out?" Kaitlyn rolls her eyes. "Come on, Saffron. We're on the same side."

"We are?" I frown. For one thing, I'm confused. For another, the cheer demon that's been possessing Kaitlyn until now is visibly absent. There aren't any likes or OMGs, and she actually sounds normal.

Her words also make me realize that we sort of are on the same side. She's the reason I'm no longer in the pack house. Why am I even wasting time questioning her, when POW's searching for me as we speak? What I need to do is run.

"Look," Kaitlyn says, "we need to get back to the house before anyone gets suspicious." She grabs my hand and starts pulling me toward the house, I dig my heels in.

"I can't," I tell her.

"Why not?" she frowns.

I actually consider telling her, but I'm not sure I can trust her, even without the cheer demon. "I'm going to go for a run," I tell her. "If anyone asks, can you say that I went upstairs?"

Kaitlyn hesitates for a second, then nods. "Yeah, sure. Meet me out here tonight, after sunset, okay? We can talk then."

"Sure." I nod even though I know I'll be long gone. I give her a bright smile—maybe a bit too bright—but Kaitlyn doesn't seem the least bit suspicious. With a small wave, she heads back to the house. She walks normally until she leaves the cover of trees, and then there's a sudden skip in her step. Her entire demeanor changes, like she's suddenly a different person. It's strange, but I don't have time to worry about it. Not when I should be thinking about getting away.

When Kaitlyn's halfway to the house, I spin around and sprint into the forest. I don't go far, just far enough to get some privacy, and prepare to shift. Then, I freeze. My saffron colored dress caresses my skin, and I can't bare to damage it. Not when it's by far the most beautiful thing I've ever owned. But what choice do I have? If I'm going to shift, I can only think of two ways to bring it with me. To carry it in my mouth, and risk damaging the fabric, or...