Chapter 20 Let the game begins

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Hey all :) still managed to get a chapter done in time. I got someone to read through my story (my sister, actually haha) and found some plotholes and stuff, so whilst I will still be updating I am going to edit the entire thing majorly when I finish (or when I get the chance to) But fear not, I will stll upload this raw version as I am done. So if you guys spot anything, any inconsistency let me know in a comment or message!

I have no idea how long this story is going to be, still in progress with that atm, but this will likely end up being a trilogy.

---------------------------------------------------------

I opened my eyes and found myself in the middle of a dense temperate forest. The sound of bird songs and smell of pine trees drifted through the air. I blinked several time to adjust to the bright light. This place is beautiful. I had never seen the countryside before in my life.

‘Gather up.’ Diego’s voice dragged me back into the game and I quickly hurried over. I noticed some of the others were also awing at the landscape and felt less like an idiot. Our base was some distance behind us; a run down building that looked more like a haunted house than a base.

‘We, are going to attack the elemental base.’ He said in a whisper, which immediately revoked reactions from everyone.

‘What? I thought we were only planning on attacking the Physical base?’ shrieked Casey, who was always the first one to voice out her opinion. ‘We will all get disqualified the moment we arrived!’

‘Guys, calm down. Listen to me, we wouldn’t have asked you to do it if we didn’t have a plausible plan.’ Diego said, calming everyone down. I was still shocked by the plan. I could have found out from reading Diego’s mind, but I was never interested enough to bother. However never had I thought it would be a surprised attack, with only a crew of eight people.

Thank god this isn’t real life. Otherwise I am so kicking his butt and getting the heck out of here, no matter how hot he is.

‘You know those team exercise that we practiced? They are catered for this operation, we are all geared up for it, don’t worry too much.’ Diego said soothingly, my mind flashed back to all those weird little games that we played. I found it hard to believe that they were for this.

‘And if we get disqualified?’ asked Casey, who obviously had no more faith in this than I do. Diego smirked at her making her swooned a little. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. Seriously? That’s borderline prostitution.

‘We won’t.’ He said, his face a mask of confidence. However I happened to know that he only said it to make us confident, that he had no more idea whether or not the plan will work out than we do, but he still believed in it, in us. I admired him for being such a believer, but also want to shake him vigorously and tell him that if this isn’t a game, he could very well be leading us all to our deaths.

But since this is a game, I am curious to see how this will turn out.

The others seemed either to succumbed under the charm of Diego or decided to go along since this is only a stimulation and we will not actually be harmed. Hence, moments later we have set off at a brisk pace plunging deep into the forest.