Chapter 30: Answer

CHAPTER 30

I've been in plenty of awkward situations throughout my life. There was one time in the sixth grade when I threw up on this guy I thought was cute in front of the entire class. Another time in college I started hitting on a guy in a bar and then realized he was married. But nothing can be compared to this.

Nothing is more awkward than the guy you may possible be dating deciding to surprise you by picking you up from the airport where you're getting off the plane with your boss, who you slept with the night before.

When I spot Liam's brown hair in the airport terminal I panic. There's a second where I think about hiding from him and later pretending that I just never saw him at all, but then he sees me and begins waving frantically, a big smile on his face.

"Leah!"

Harry hears him calling my name and turns around, his green eyes narrowing. We didn't say much to each other this morning at breakfast or on the plane ride back for that matter, so I don't know how he feels about what we did last night.

Personally, I feel great about what happened last night. I feel fantastic. I feel a little bit sore. And when I finally meet Liam's eyes, I also feel guilty.

Harry bends down to whisper in my ear. "What is he doing here?"

"I have no idea," I say, waving back weakly at Liam as he makes his way over towards us.

"Hey, Leah," he smiles, pulling me into a big hug. Harry makes a noise of disbelief and I smack him with the hand that's not placed on Liam's back.

"Nice to see you again, Harry," Liam nods at him and I clutch my suitcase handle so tight that my knuckles turn white. I can not believe this is happening right now.

"I wish I could say the same," Harry smirks. Liam raises his eyebrows and crosses his arms over his muscular chest, his biceps flexing. Oh, God, what if they start fighting in the middle of the airport? I think I'm going to pass out.

"Liam, can I talk to you for a second?" I turn to him, a strained smile plastered across my face. He nods quickly and grabs my elbow, pulling us away from Harry, who is glaring after us.

"Not to be rude but...what are you doing here?" I ask as soon as we're out of earshot. Liam drops my arm and rubs the back of his neck, giving me a suddenly embarrassed look.

"Uh, I thought you would want me to pick you up," he shrugs. "I know how much you don't like Harry so I thought it'd be a nice gesture."

If only you knew how much I really did like Harry, I think to myself, but sigh instead. "Liam, that's very sweet. Thank you."

"I shouldn't have come, should I?" He looks me over, taking in my crossed arms and nervous expression. I sigh again and take his hands, knowing that Harry is probably watching our every move.

"No, it's great that you came. It's just that..." I trail off, not sure if I should tell him that Harry and I were more than just working partners. He's so sweet and so good for me, but I know that he'll never make me feel the way that Harry does. Nobody can make me feel the way Harry does.

"I know what it is," Liam suddenly laughs before I can even open my mouth to speak. "I never asked you to officially be my girlfriend, did I?"

"Um, actually-"

He grins and the corners of his eyes crinkle in a comforting way. "Leah, will you be my girlfriend?"

"I.." I look over to Harry, who catches my eye and begins walking towards us. He doesn't look very happy and I gulp as he approaches.