Chapter 3 - Part 2

Lacey

My hand trembled as I put some lipstick on. I took a deep breath and let it out trying to ease the overwhelming feelings inside. I stood up and surveyed myself one last time in the mirror. The party had already started but I'd been too upset to face anyone so I was still hiding out in my room under the pretence of getting ready. When Adonis brought me home I had disappeared into the sanctuary of my room to pull myself together.

I had expected someone to come up to my room to talk to me but no one had. I didn't want to talk to any of them at the moment. Still angry and feeling betrayed that they had decided amongst themselves what to tell me and what not to.

A voice reminded me of what Adonis said. The surgeon had advised them not to tell me. But that didn't wipe away the betrayal or the anger I was experiencing because they had decided what I could deal with.

The surgeon had told me I had suffered some memory loss I had thought they were small everyday things not a whole friendship. What else had I missed? Were they keeping more from me?

There was a knock at my door. I fisted my hands for a moment trying to keep my emotions in check. Glancing at the door I stood.

"Harp."

I closed my eyes when I hesitated for a moment as the sound of his voice washed over me.

Even angry I had noticed that the empty feeling I had been living for the last couple of months had eased when Adonis had found me. It was like feeling complete and I had no idea why. Was it because I loved him that he could make me feel that?

"Go away Gray," I told him, crossing my arms while I glared at the door. "I don't want to talk to you."

"I know you're upset," he said. "But at least give me a chance to talk to you."

I pressed my lips together wishing he would just leave me to work through my anger.

"You really think that anything you're going to say is going to make things better?" I questioned, shaking my head. To me there was nothing that could ease the hurt that I was feeling.

What if keeping Aiden from me had stopped me from remembering what I could have and now it was too late? Putting a hand to my forehead I took a deep breath in.

"Just let me talk to you," he said, I could heard the strain in his voice. It pulled at me and I had no way to fight it. I found myself walking to my door.

I don't know what made me open the door but when his eyes locked with mine my stomach did a summersault. Then the feeling I had felt earlier on spread though me. Silence replaced the noise of my thoughts shouting in my head. Turning around I walked over to my bed and sat down. He closed the door and I waited for him.

His eyes drifted over me as he came to stand in front of me.

"You look beautiful," he said softly. His gaze did a sweep of me and I felt nervous at the closer attention.

My eyes caught his and I saw something in them that I had never seen before. It made my stomach flutter. It was like he was looking at me but seeing past what I projected to the world.

"I don't like seeing you like this." His eyes soft.

I held onto my anger so I didn't melt at his feet. There had always been something about him that had made me feel out of control with emotions but now it felt different, more intense and I couldn't figure out why. Distance made the heart grow fonder? Was that it?

"I don't like feeling like this," I retorted, still feeling angry. I felt betrayed and lost.

He raked his hand through his hair. I watched his hair fall back into place and wondered how it would feel to thread my hands through it.