Chapter 26

Third person pov

Understandably, Shikamaru wasn't able to fall asleep right away. Trexx sat right in the space between his bed and Arron's, sharp claw-like fingers clasped together. Shikamaru was quite sure the beast was asleep. The white dots that appeared to be its eyes were missing, simply not there. Shikamaru was assuming they were closed. At least, he hoped that's what that was. A part of him had a theory that they'd been sucked into his shadowy body and were simply floating around in there.

"Shikamaru." Arron's voice whispered from across the room. The Nara shifted slightly, unable to see her past Trexx. He truly was massive. Even sitting down, his head was nearly touching the ceiling. He could easily how that thing could have caused a distraction large enough for Arron to escape. He was probably a true force of nature when angered.

"Yeah?" Shikamaru replied. His voice felt too loud for the room.

"Thank you." Her voice was barely audible, but he still heard it. It was soft, but sincere too. It made him smile. It made Trexx twitch slightly as well, but it didn't bother Shikamaru. Although he was still... cautious of the large creature, Shikamaru didn't feel he'd be harmed in any way.

"No problem." He answered, his voice softer than it usually was. He didn't receive a reply, but a part of him hoped Arron was smiling too, even if only a little.

~

"I told you." Shikamaru sighed heavily. Ino simply huffed. Choji lifted the walkie-talkie.

"We got on a team with Ino, just like Shikamaru said we would." He told her. "She's not super happy about it, but at least Shikamaru and I are on the same team, over."

That morning, Shikamaru had been hesitant to leave. Being a ninja would take work, and it would probably be a drag. Missing graduation wouldn't really put too much of a dent in his mood. He just wasn't sure he wanted to leave Arron and Trexx alone with him parents. God knows what they'd try to do. He sure hoped they didn't threaten Arron. Shikamaru didn't know Trexx, or how he'd react if threatened.

"Whatever. It's not like I wanted to be on a team with you losers anyway. That stupid Forehead got on a team with my Sasuke-kun. As if that's going to make him want her anyway." Ino scoffed, but she sounded unsure. Shikamaru rolled his eyes. Girls. That's why he liked Arron so much. She wasn't like other girls. She was soft, and gentle, and truly nice. A decent person at heart. 

"You guys my team?" Their heads snapped towards the door. A man with a cigar between his teeth stood there, grinning. He had a beard and was clearly, based on the jonin vest he wore, their new sensei. Asuma Sarutobi, son of the current Hokage.

"H-Hi!" Choji panicked. He thrust the walkie talkie forward like it was a shield, earning a groan from Shikamaru and yet another eye-roll from Ino, who was clearly in the middle of having some sort of crisis due to the fact that she was separated from her precious Sasuke. Honestly, the whole thing was ridiculous. Not even a problem if you asked Shikamaru, and even Choji. Although, the young Nara did miss Arron when he wasn't home...  Choji continued, "This is Arron!"

"On the other end." Shikamaru corrected quickly. "She's on the other end. At my house. Uh... yeah, we just carry that around so she doesn't get lonely. That's all. Sorry about that." This whole thing was a troublesome mess.

"There's nothing to apologize for." Asuma chuckled. He had the Ino-Shika-Cho group, and he was excited to see how they worked together. Naturally, the three clans went well together, having perfected their teamwork over years of hard work. Their technique was completely unique to them. A special strategy using three members from three clans. It was interesting.

"You already know us, and we already know you." Shikamaru sighed. "This is a drag."

"Shikamaru, don't be rude! That's our new sensei!" Ino shrieked like he'd just sworn his allegiance to the devil. Shikamaru let out a groan. "Be nice! I'm sorry, sir. He's not usually like this."

"It's alright." Asuma chuckled again, puffing out a cloud of smoke. "I'm Asuma Sarutobi, but according to Shikamaru here, you already knew that." He grinned.

"It's nice to meet you." Choji said quickly. "Oh, sorry Arron, over." He released the button, and with it, some of his tension. Not enough of it evidently as his shoulders were still tense and bunched. 

There was no response from Arron. Shikamaru sighed again. This.... was such a damn drag.

~

I apologize for the lack of updates overall. I've got some major personal stuff going on, but hopefully it'll blow over soon. I'm really sorry. I know summer was supposed to be the "free time let's write everything all the time" period, but some shit has come the fuck up, and... yeah, life. I'll get back to the writing soon enough my dudes.