Chapter 7 - Zelda's Resentment

Summary: Link's assignment as Zelda's appointed knight gets off to a shaky start.

My travels as Princess Zelda's appointed knight did not begin well. I already knew from her father's comments that my presence was unwelcome. And right at the outset, the princess made no attempt to hide her feelings.

"Link, just so we understand each other," said Zelda. "Your presence is unwelcome, and I would prefer if you were neither seen nor heard. Please follow ten paces behind me and only speak if spoken to."

"Yes, Your Highness," I answered.

Well, that was an excellent start to my new assignment. Princess Zelda ignored me the entire time. What conversation occurred was the princess talking to herself. I was little more than an unwelcome shadow as I dutifully trudged along behind her at a respectful ten pace distance.

I learned much later that Zelda did not just resent having an appointed knight, but that she especially resented having me. My success with the sacred sword was in stark contrast to her own failure to develop her power, and my presence was a reminder of that.

The first stop I remember was deep in the Eldin Region. Princess Zelda went there to help Daruk gain better control of his Divine Beast, Vah Rudania. After she finished with Daruk, I stayed behind with him for a few extra minutes. He told me how proud he was now that he had gotten the hang of controlling Rudania. The only moment of concern occurred when there was a sudden cascade of boulders from Death Mountain, a mountain that had been quiescent for many years. Legend had it that Death Mountain activity tended to coincide with Ganon's return, and I knew that was on Daruk's mind though he avoided mentioning it.

We left the Eldin region and headed east. The princess was still not talking to me, and I had no idea of her intended destination, but obediently followed her like a puppy. Apparently, we were traveling back to Hyrule Castle. When we arrived, I was summarily dismissed.

"I trust, now that we are safely back at the castle, that I can dispense with your services for now?" said Zelda.

"Yes, Your Highness," I answered. "But would Your Highness please inform me when I will be needed again?"

"As far as I am concerned, you are not needed at all," said Zelda. "But out of respect for my father's wishes, I will let you know when I am leaving."

I remained at the castle for two days, and my fellow guardsmen were very curious about my experience guarding the princess. King Rhoam had promoted me to Captain in honor of my accomplishments but also since I think any rank less than that would have been insulting to his daughter.

"Sir, how was your experience guarding Her Highness?" asked one of the guards I knew.

"I wish I could say it was good," I said. "Her Highness feels there is no need for my company, so I am caught between His Majesty's command and Her Highness's ill will."

"Sounds tough. A lot of us envied you the assignment but now I'm not so sure I would like it," said the guard.

"You probably wouldn't," I said. "I can only hope things get better."

On the third day, a Royal Guard member informed me that Her Highness was preparing to leave and I should pack some warm clothing. I rushed to get my gear together, saddled up Epona, and raced over to the castle entrance to find the princess waiting there.

"Thank you for keeping me waiting," said Zelda. "I trust you are finally ready and we can proceed?"

"I am very sorry Your Highness," I said. She was obviously being unfair giving me so little warning, but there was little use in doing other than accepting the situation.

We headed south and then west and ended up in the Tabantha region just across Tanagar Canyon at a place called Ancient Columns. Princess Zelda had been attempting to gain access to some Sheikah structures around Hyrule by using her Sheikah Slate. When she neared the structure, she rushed ahead of me and it took me a few minutes to catch up. Her failure to access these ancient structures was getting on her nerves. And, of course, my continued presence as her unwanted escort irked her as well.

My timing catching up to her couldn't have been worse either. She had just failed to get any reaction from the structure and my arrival put her over the edge. Her frustration boiled over, and she yelled at me for following her, ordering me to return to Hyrule Castle. Of course, I couldn't do that or I would face the king's wrath. So, I followed behind her as inconspicuously as I could. The unpleasantness of guarding her with no sense of gratitude, but rather open hostility on her part, makes this task difficult. But it is the king's command and my duty, and I need to honor that.

Our journey from there was to the south. We left a bit late in the day and ended up spending the night at Outskirt Stable. The owner was most accommodating to the princess and pretty much ignored me. He reserved the whole stable for her use, and I was left to sleep outside alongside the fire. I was happy there was no rain that evening. Next morning, without so much as a word to me, we continued our journey south and west until we stopped at Gerudo Canyon Stable to board our horses. The owner came running out when he saw the princess.

"Your Highness, welcome to Gerudo Canyon Stable," he said bowing. "Please let me know what I can do for you and your servant."

Zelda laughed at that. I had to swallow my pride again. Her servant? Really?

"You may board my and my servant's horses," she said. "After resting, we are proceeding to Gerudo Town."

"Of course, Your Highness," said the owner. He promptly took our two horses and saw that they were watered and fed. I guess Epona got better treatment at least thanks to her.

After we finished resting, we next made our way on foot across the desert. It was about an hour's walk to the Kara Kara Bazaar, which was about half way to our destination of Gerudo Town.

"The desert is harsh but can be beautiful at times," said Zelda, I assumed to herself. Certainly, no response from me was expected or appreciated. "The flowers that grow here are unique and have some important medicinal qualities. But they cannot grow outside of this climate."

I followed her as we walked through the sand, the sun beating down on us. I had long ago shed the warmer clothes I wore in the Tabantha Region for my Champion tunic, but I was still hot. I was thankful when we finally stopped at the Kara Kara Bazaar for some water.

Our ultimate goal was apparently to visit Lady Urbosa and the Divine Beast Vah Naboris. I was still an unwelcome companion, and she finally found a way to elude me. She entered Gerudo Town and of course, as a Voe, I was forbidden to follow. I didn't know what else to do but wait outside the city for her. However, I learned later that she had sneaked out one of the other entrances and made her way to Vah Naboris on her own to visit with Lady Urbosa.

By the time Urbosa got a message to me, it was early evening. I rushed there as soon as I could. Zelda was asleep in Urbosa's arms, exhausted. It seemed Urbosa understood the princess and I were not getting along well. And I know she cared deeply for the princess as she had been good friends with Zelda's mother. It was then Urbosa reminded me of the honor it was to be the princess's knight and the obligation I had to protect her, even with my life. The princess was quite surprised to see me when Urbosa finally woke her up, since she thought she had eluded me. Surprised, but by no means pleased. She was tired, however, and Urbosa brought her to the Kara Kara Bazaar to sleep. I stayed there as well to keep an eye on her.

Despite all my precautions, however, when I awoke the next morning, Princess Zelda was gone again. She had headed off by herself into the desert. I asked one of the guards on duty which way she went and they pointed toward Gerudo Town. I raced in that direction as quickly as I could, and it was a good thing I did. I caught up with the princess just in time as three Yiga Clan warriors were attacking her. I struck one down as he was about to hit her with his sickle-shaped weapon, and the other two fled when I confronted them. I could see the fear in the princess's eyes, but for the first time, I also saw a spark of gratitude. I think she may finally be coming to appreciate my company.