Day Eight - A New Day

AGNES LEFAY

So this is what they mean by post coital bliss. I can't remember the last time I had slept so well, let alone woken naturally feeling rested.  It was more than just being rested though, I had this feeling of contentment.  That everything was in it's place and was how it should be and that was something that I had never even considered possible throughout my rocky life.  I finally felt home.  And I knew that home wasn't this building.  It was the three devastatingly handsome men that had taken me in to their close knit circle, and accepted me for who I was and what I had become.

They made me feel safe and dare I say it loved.  This was all a fairly new concept for me and by that, I don't mean being dead.  Although that is still pretty new and something I keep easily forgetting.  Strange.  It's like I always knew this would happen and it was just another phase of my life.  

It was new with the fact that, other than Val, I had never really had anyone that truly cared for me.  Maybe my mom and dad cared for me in some kind of convoluted and fucked up way.  I'd like to think that they were doing me a favour by abandoning me all those years ago.  That living with them would have been so much worse than being a victim of the state and the one truly unselfish act of their existence, was giving me the chance of a better life.  I mean after all, if they hadn't have given me up, would I be here?  Laid in the arms of this gentle beast of a man, with two others somewhere close by and all three accepting me so easily into their family.

Right at this moment, I felt lucky.

Optimism, wasn't usually in my repertoire.  But it seems that one night in bed with one of these guys had made my future such a brighter prospect.  I could only imagine what I would be like after all three.  I would probably be channelling my inner Julie Andrews and spouting about how the hills were a-fucking-live!

Unfortunately, I believed the universe didn't work that way.  With all this happiness, there just had to be a darker side to even it out.  The universe needed balance to survive and I can't help but notice the new level of fear that had come along with my happiness.  Up until now, I had always been pretty fearless.  I believed that my life had hardened me to the world and nothing could break my confidence and that no matter what happened, I would always come out kicking some serious ass.  I was a fighter after all.

But that wasn't the real truth of my confidence and bravado.  The truth was that I just didn't have anything to lose.  There is nothing more dangerous than someone you can't hurt; someone who doesn't give a shit what you do to them and in the space of a week this has been totally flipped on it's head.  I now feared the outside world, I now feared that the universe will see my greed in taking all three men as my own and will dish out some kind of retribution to restore balance once again.  Equal parts good and equal parts bad.

I felt the need to give back to the universe, some kind of offering to become worthy of this precious gift that I had been given, because I'll be damned if I was going to give up or lose any one of them.  I'd already experienced that with Blake, even if only for a short amount of time and I was unwilling to go through that again.

But what did I have to offer?

Little old Agnes LeFay, born and raised in Mysterio, Alabama.  With no known parents and no pulse to be found.  But- The universe did have bigger problems on it's hands due to the Zombie apocalypse and all, maybe it's possible that it will over look this small town gal?

I'm not that lucky. 

A thought occurred to me as I mulled over the conundrum in my head.  The world as I knew it was dying, if not already dead.  A mysterious pathogen was picking off the human race one by one and with no cure in sight, it was only a matter of time before it wiped out the entire human race.