Chapter Twenty-Eight - The Princess and The Plan

Evelyn's P.O.V.

It was the last night of the Centennial.

Adam was right when he told me I would be sore from shifting. I laid in bed for the rest of the day, barely able to move. 

But I was determined to be at the gala that night. I had missed the night before last because of Heat and I had missed the previous night because Dr. Zusak didn't discharge me from the hospital ward until later in the evening.

However, I wasn't going to miss that night for the world.

I had saved the most beautiful gown for last and I smiled when I pulled it out of the dust cover that evening as I began to get ready.

It was a crimson red ballgown with an off-the-shoulder neckline and a corseted waist adorned with beaded lace appliqués.

I put on red lipstick to match and pulled my hair back in a low, loose bun before I stood in front of the mirror. I admit that I twirled around a few times. I felt like a princess.

Judging by the look on Adam's face as he walked through the bedroom door, I looked like one too.

"Woah."

I smiled. 

"Isn't it gorgeous?" I asked, giving him a twirl. 

He nodded slowly. 

"I was actually going to suggest you stay here and rest tonight, but I'm not so sure that's a good idea now," Adam said laughing.

"I've rested plenty," I said, waving him off.

Adam showered quickly and changed into his tux.

Just as I put the diamond earrings he had gotten me into my ears, Adam came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

I blushed as he planted a kiss on my neck.

"What do you think would make this look complete?" Adam asked me.

I frowned as I looked in the mirror.

It doesn't need anything. Does he not think I look pretty enough?

He smiled as he walked over to his bedside table and pulled out a box that was about the size of a book.

"How about a matching necklace?" He asked, opening the box to reveal a breathtaking diamond necklace.

I gasped as my hand flew up to my mouth.

The way that the diamonds sparkled in the setting sunlight that flooded through the windows made my heart palpatate.

"You've got to stop buying me diamonds," I said, leaning in to look at it further.

"It's just practice for the finale," Adam said as he grabbed my left hand and kissed the knuckle of my ring finger.

As if I wasn't about to faint before...

I took a deep breath as he pulled the necklace from the velvet box and placed it around my neck. I put my hand up to my neck to gingerly touch the necklace as he clasped it in the back.

"I don't want to wear it," I said, turning around to face him. "What if I break it?"

He laughed. "Then I'll get you another one."

I took one more look at myself in the mirror—barely recognizing the girl that stood there—before Adam took my hand in his and led me out of the bedroom.

We were almost to the ballroom when we turned down the long hallway that would lead us there. An idea struck me as I realized that the hallway was deserted except for the two of us.