― 08 | HIGH ANXIETY

EDELYN SAT ON THE WOODEN FLOOR, her eyes focused on a book that she was levitating and her breath in sync with the rhythmic ebb and flow of waves from outside — slow and deep

EDELYN SAT ON THE WOODEN FLOOR, her eyes focused on a book that she was levitating and her breath in sync with the rhythmic ebb and flow of waves from outside — slow and deep. She was in a room that Bill and Fleur had set up for her in their new cottage, which stood alone on a cliff overlooking the sea.

Four long weeks had passed since she had last seen her three friends, and to say that she was feeling miserable was an understatement. She was in an unceasing state of anxiety, a constant twitch in her right thigh, and her only bit of comfort was that Kreacher had yet to return.

The Order was adamant that she did not seek out to find Harry, Ron, or Hermione until she turned of age, and Edelyn had no choice but to abide, for even if she managed to learn wandless apparition, she would first need to get past the protective charms around the cottage. With Fleur and Alastor watching her every step, it bordered on impossible. 

She had been moved to Shell Cottage a fortnight ago, much to her great displeasure, for the familiarity of the Burrow and Ginny's lively presence had been her only comfort. The Ministry had deemed her Undesirable No. 2, claiming she had been involved in the death of Albus Dumbledore. The reward for her capture was now up to 5,000 galleons, and with everybody being unreasonably — or so she thought — overprotective of her, Edelyn felt like she had become a prisoner of some sort.

Voldemort wanted her; that much was obvious. But to what effect, Edelyn could not understand. Yes, the Beaumanoirs were a powerful family, and yes, she had inherited their magical abilities, but Edelyn had never really showcased much strength. She could perform wandless magic, but surely, that wasn't really that impressive. Then again, a voice sung in her head, those two times you lost control, your powers were potent. Forceful. Puissant

The memories made her shudder, but what frightened her more, was the possibility that Voldemort only wanted her to get to Harry. That he would threaten to kill her unless Harry came to him like dinner on a silver platter. Edelyn knew that Harry, with his people-saving complex, wouldn't so much as hesitate, and the thought of it all brought chills down her spine. 

The sudden sound of knocking brought Edelyn back to the present. Glancing toward the bedroom door, she lost eye contact with the book, and it fell onto the floor with a loud thud.

"Lyn, may I come in?"

She smiled softly. "Yes," she called out.

The door opened and in slid Remus Lupin with a cup of tea. "It's chamomile," he said, taking a seat beside her and passing the mug; she gave an appreciative thanks before taking a sip and placing the cup down on the bedside table. 

After a moment's hesitation, Remus brushed his palms against his thighs and coughed to clear his throat. "Look, Lyn. I...I know you're to stay put until November, but the Order has agreed that if I come with—"

"Remus," Edelyn cut him off. "I've already told you. I can't tell you what the mission is."

"I know. I know, Lyn." He raised his hands up in defence. "But I may still be of some use. For starters, I could help you with side-along apparition until you're of age, and secondly, the kinds of magic you might face...Well, I could be there to provide you protection. After all, I did...I did once make a promise to your parents to keep you safe." His eyes implored her to see his reason. "There would be no need to tell me exactly what you're up to."