22: Heart

YEAR 1006 - SINCE HAMINO'S PROMISE

It was a rainy night when her stepfather decided to return home after weeks of working at the palace. The tapping of Athias's horseshoes along the wet cobblestones met her ears from the top of her tower as her stepfather led him to the stable. Athias, harbored a steady heartbeat, calm and mighty, with a history of traveling to various places with her stepfather. Places she'd never see or ever know. Once her stepfather had entered their house, she leaped out of her bed, ignoring the cold floor under her feet, and scurried down the winding staircase to the first floor.

Over her short years of living in the tower, she had trained her feet to sneak about the house like a spirit. Yet somehow, her mom would always sense her presence or figure out what she'd done. But this time, she didn't care if she was heard.

Mageia ran through the halls toward her stepfather's study, a joyous smile on her face. She couldn't wait to see him again. But as she approached the cracked door, she slowed to a halt, hearing tension in her parents' voices.

"I'm sensing terrible things, Vale," her stepfather said.

"Things like what?"

"Thaddeus wants the throne of Gorana."

Her mother scoffed as her flat shoes paced the floor. "Really, Leon? Rendel will take Ardania within a day if he catches wind of this idea."

"I know, but Thaddeus and Joelis have poisoned blood. Their pride will get us all killed."

"Have you tried talking sense into him?"

"Yes. Me, Dimitri, and anyone else brave enough to do so."

"Damn pirates," her mother said. "What're you going to do?"

"My best to convince them otherwise. They have this Fiisen boy they're investing a lot of time in, which is nothing compared to an Ersan. The last thing Ardania needs is a war. I will not allow my soldiers to go into a war they cannot win."

"You must be careful, Leon. Conspiracies like this can hurt many people, especially those who oppose."

"I will, my love," he assured.

"Leon, we should be wise and pack up and leave this godforsaken kingdom," her mom pleaded.

"You're right," he said. "Especially since Thaddeus has caught wind of a new religion rising in the streets of Strana."

"Mhmm," her mother mused.

"I see you've been busy, Valasia," he teased in a semi-humorous and flirtatious tone.

"We survived for a reason. Plus, I think this kingdom needs a bit of hope solacing its streets."

Mageia leaned forward, curious to know more of what they spoke about, but the floorboards creaked beneath her feet. Silence claimed the study, and Mageia held her breath. The door swooshed open, startling her away from the entrance.