Chapter Fourteen: A Drunken Mistake

A yawn escaped my lips as I munched on the fluffy pink cotton candy Jasper bought me.

            Garret frowned at me disapprovingly. “Are you tired?”

            I waved him off. “Nonsense. I’m still okay.”

            “Oh shut up. It’s almost twelve. You should be at home.”

            “Garret’s right,” Jasper said, nodding. “Your mother will have my head if you’re not home by twelve.”

            “Fine,” I agreed before yawning the second time. My eyes were already drooping and I know any minute now sleep would capture me.

            “Let’s go home,” Jasper said and put an arm around my waist. “You need your sleep.”   

            I nodded slowly. I only remembered Jasper guiding me to his car and Garret following from behind. Next thing I knew, I was lying on my back at the backseat in Jasper’s car. I heard the car doors close and the engines start by Jasper.

            I know I’m supposed to go to sleep. I know I’m supposed to rest after a very, very long night. My eyes were already close and I was readying myself so sleep could take me.

            But nothing came. I was still wide awake, yet my eyes were close.

            Thinking I was asleep, Jasper cleared his throat and told Garret, “I know what you are doing.”

            Even though my eyes were close, I know Garret would be raising one arrogant eyebrow. “What are you talking about?”

            And came Jasper’s calm reply: “You know what I’m talking about.” When Garret didn’t reply, he sighed angrily. “You like her, don’t you? I mean, who wouldn’t like Melanie? She’s charming, she’s funny, she’s smart… She’s everything a guy could ask for!”

            “Are you saying that I… like her?”

            “Well, don’t you?”

            “Of course I do,” Garret replied smoothly. “Of course I like Melanie. She’s really nice to me. And she doesn’t act indifferently with me—not like the other girls might have been.”

            “So are you going to prove yourself to her, too?”

            I heard Garret sigh. “No, Jasper. She’s all yours.”

            “I don’t believe you.”

            “No, of course you don’t.”

            “But whether you want her to be your girlfriend or not, you need to understand something. I’m going to make her love me. I’m going to make her fall for me.”

            “You can’t make someone fall for you. Fate has its own ways.”

            I don’t have the energy to do so, but if I did, I would have laughed at Garret. Who knew he could talk like this? Still my eyes close, I listened to their conversation.

            “You don’t know anything,” Jasper said. “Maybe she will realize that I’m the right guy all along. After all, we’ve known each other since we were four and I practically took her virginity and—.”

            “What? You did?” Garret gasped, surprised.

            “Yeah,” Jasper said superiorly. “I’m the only guy she had slept with.”