|CHAPTER 18: SHOW ME LOVE|

Let me leave before the ones I love, for losing them would kill me anyways.

• • •

Regret.

Regret is by far the most strongest emotion the human heart could ever have to endure.

You can truly love a person with everything in you, yet you still couldn't love them as much as you could miss them.

You'd regret the things you never said to them, you'd regret ever hurting them, you'd regret ever letting them go.

And Tony Stark knew that better than anyone.

Tony Stark knew the meaning of regret more than any other human being alive right now.

Because he couldn't walk into his own home without picturing her there waiting for him on the couch, with a few snacks scattered around her.

He couldn't go into his garage without taking a glance at the car she used to drive.

And he wanted to end it.

The guilt. The regret. The loneliness.

He didn't know what regret was until he watched her walk out of her very own home with a heavy heart, and a blurry vision.

He didn't know what alone was until the first night he spent without her in his bed.

Everyday.

Everyday he found something to remind him of how much he had hurt her, how much pain he had caused.

And everyday his thumb would hover over her name as he contemplated whether if he should phone her.

To apologise.

To show her that he had truly cared about her, but again everyday he would dismiss the thought and slide his phone back in his front pocket, ignoring the inevitable pain in his chest.

Because Tony Stark knew...

He knew that she wouldn't pick up anyway.

And he wondered why god put him in her life, until he realised...

He put her in his.

Yet it's not like she was doing any better than him.

She never regretted leaving that day, if anything, she was proud that she had found the courage to do so.

Having promised herself that she wasn't ever going to settle for less than she deserved, she let the man go.

She let him go because she knew in her heart that he could never truly be hers.

That he could never really give her what she wanted.

And for her, that was love.

He couldn't love her, and she couldn't force him to.

It was a curse humanity had to face.