Chapter 4

I had begun to clean empty tables when I noticed Paul setting down a few quid down on the counter as he finished his meal.

Watching Paul as a young girl approached him and asked for an autograph, I grinned in awe as he signed it with his signature smile that could steal anyone's heart.

The girl squealed happily squeezing him into a hug, then soon after running out the door back to her friends outside looking in from the dark street sidewalk.

Smiling to myself at the sight, I began to bring the empty dishes to the back to get washed.

"Charlie." Paul spoke suddenly, walking over to me as I reached the front counter, almost making me drop the dishes being startled.

"Yes Paul?" I pursed my lips trying to calm down my racing heartbeat from having been scared.

I put the dishes down on the counter and turned to him.

"I have to get back home now, but I was wondering if maybe I could take you out properly sometime, as a thank you for this morning?" Paul asked with a small joyful grin.

I thought for a moment as I smiled at him.

"I'd love to." I beamed nodding my head.

His smile grew and his shoulders relaxed.

I reached into my dress pocket and pulled out the notepad I took orders on and a pen, scribbling down my home telephone number and handing it to him.

He smiled reading over the numbers than carefully slid it into his pants pocket.

"I'll see you soon then." I smiled grabbing the plates and began to walk to the back once again.

"Until then." Paul spoke staring at me as I walked further and further away with a large dreamy smile before beginning to walk out in the opposite direction.

I smiled to myself as I got back to the kitchen, did Paul McCartney just ask me out on a date?
_______________________

"Charlie!" Audrey called from her convertible as I was walking out of the restaurant, just before sunrise having been up all night working.

"Audrey?" I asked freezing in place.

She motioned for me to get in and I followed obediently, rushing to get into the car.

"You'll never believe it Charlie." Audrey squealed.

"What?" I asked intrigued.

"Oliver and Ben want to take us out on Oliver's yacht this Friday."  She screeched happily clapping her hands together.

"They do?" I inquired in shock. I hadn't thought that date went well at all.

"Yeah. Oli really liked you." She gushed.

"I barely said anything at all." I responded flatly with my eyebrows furled.

"Well, he liked it." She laughed uncomfortably as she started the car.

I rolled my eyes and looked out the window exhausted, almost drifting out of consciousness.

"Let me drive you to your house." She spoke realizing I was too tired to give her much of a conversation.

I thanked her as she began driving on the completely empty road at such an early hour in the morning.

"So a yacht huh?" I questioned yawning and closing my eyes.

"Well, it's his father's, but he wants to take us out on it for a day." She looked to be in a daze thinking about it.

"If I say no," I began curiously, turning my head to Audrey with a sly smirk opening my eyes slightly.

"-You're not saying no." She smiled speaking in a passive aggressive tone, her eye seeming to twitch slightly.

I had a feeling she wanted to take this trip more than anyone else involved.

"Right." I nodded looking back to the window with a small knowing grin.

She soon pulled up to apartment complex and I trudged all the way to my flat after thanking Audrey for the car ride.

The news was slightly irritating, I needed to just tell her to call it off, I wasn't interested in Oliver whatsoever. I didn't get the best feeling when I saw him, I had a feeling things wouldn't go well between the both of us.

I fiddled with my keys before giving up and reaching for the key under the mat and unlocked the door, walking back into my run down and almost empty flat exhausted after putting back the key.

It was lightly furnished and small, my entrance right next to my living room and kitchen, and one single hallway containing my bedroom and a bathroom.

Usually, I did my laundry down at the laundromat. Not only because I didn't own a washer and dryer myself, but because they had recently cut off my electricity because I was late on my payment once again this month.

I had made it over to my worn out brown couch before completely passing out instantly as my face hit the cushion.
________________

Waking up to the sound of my land line ringing loudly throughout the flat caused me to groan out in agony.

Rubbing my eyes I looked to watch on my wrist that said it was already ten thirty seven in the morning.

I got up quickly and rushed to the phone picking up.

"Hello?" I sounded groggy and confused when I picked up unsure of who was on the other end.

"Good morning Charlie." I heard Paul on the other end of the telephone line.

"Paul." I smiled beginning to play with the chord feeling butterflies erupting in my stomach.

"Did I wake you?" He asked guiltily.

"No." I spoke trying not to make him feel bad but sounding unconvincing.

"Erm, I wanted to know if you'd like to meet me this afternoon for coffee?" He sounded shy and unsure of himself.

"Yeah, yes, sounds like fun." I stumbled over my words as I rubbed sleep from my eyes.

I felt very giddy, I hadn't expected him to call so soon or want to go out with me at all.

"I'm at the studio on Abbey Road, my break is at one if you'd like me to pick you up?" He asked sweetly.

"I can meet you at the studio." I spoke abruptly embarrassed of where I lived.

"Are you sure?" He asked kindly.

"Yeah, one o'clock?" I inquired feeling my face flush.

"Yes, if that works for you." He spoke softly.

"Who's that on the phone Paulie?" Another male Liverpudlian voice asked from the other end of the line nosily.

"It works for me." I giggled slightly as I heard some rustling from his side of the call.

"Okay that's-"

"-is it a bird?"

"-John-"

"-Hello pretty baby-"

"John stop!"

I heard a cry of agony from the other end of the line.

"I've-got-to-go-Charlie-I'll-see-you-later." Paul spoke quickly.

"Bye Paul." I was trying to hold my giggles back as I heard what sounded like wrestling on the other end of the line.

He hung up quickly after that and I couldn't contain the huge grin that tugged my lips upwards.

Quickly my happiness turned into panic.

I had a date, with Paul McCartney, in less than three hours.