Chapter Twenty-Nine "Freddie Finally Arrives"

"That would be very good of you," Freddie nodded to Lord Edgehill.  He handed me a handkerchief with a smile and I dabbed my eyes as I tried to regain my composure before we walked past Lady Edgehill.  "Come along, Margaret," Freddie said as he moved me to his side and kept his arm around my shoulders protectively.  As we started towards the study, I turned to the staircase.  Leah stood there solemnly looking as if she was about to lose her best friend.  I wanted to smile for her, but I couldn't.  Then I looked up and still at the top was Thomas, just holding onto the banister and looking down at me, the small bunch of violets in his hand.  I did not have enough time to properly catalog all of the emotions that I saw flickering across his face, but I definitely saw sadness . . . and regret.

* * * * *

            Once inside Lord Edgehill's study Freddie sat me on the sofa that sat under the window.  He stood in front of me and sighed deeply before he lowered himself so he could look me in the face, "Are you okay?"  I nodded as I felt the tears falling again.  "Have you been hurt or treated cruelly here?"  I stifled sobs and continued nodding my head.  "Margaret, I need words," he said reaching out and setting a comforting hand on my shoulder, "Have the Edgehills mistreated you?" 

            I sucked in a deep breath with the last whimper, "Well, not really . . . " I started.

            Freddie looked confused, "But you wrote that I had to come save you from a fate worse than death," he said as he stood.  He reached into his jacket pocket and produced the letter I had written, he sat beside me and opened it, "There's no way I can endure what's being done to me . . . Freddie you must come . . . these are all your words."

            "I know," I dabbed at my eyes again, "but it's so complicated . . . "

            "I need you to un-complicate it, Magpie, because I don't know what's happened since you left for London.  I went to our townhouse and no one was there . . . where's Patience?"

            "Upstairs," I said quietly, I debated whether or not to tell him about her condition or wait until I explained everything else.

            "What about Faith and Percy?" he asked immediately.

            "Faith went to find Percy . . . to try to help," I said looking down at the handkerchief, without thinking I was pulling at the threads with my nails.

            "To help with what?" Freddie cupped my chin and raised my face so that he could look into my eyes.  "You have to tell me everything."

            "I'm to be engaged at the end of the Season," I answered, my lower lip trembling.

            "To Percival?" he asked, a spark of hope dancing in his eyes.  I shook my head slowly.  "Then to who?"

            "Thomas Edgehill."

            "I don't understand, didn't you just meet . . . "

            "Patience signed a contract," I fought the tears and bit my lip.

            He got to his feet and turn to me, "No, she'd never do that . . . " he began, his hand covered his mouth and then slowly fell to his chin.  "She wouldn't."

            "Patience and Lady Edgehill told me themselves," I cried, "Lord Edgehill is a barrister and took care of all of the details . . . "

            "Where is this contract?  Where is Patience?" his voice raised angrily, "Where's my wife?"

            I had never seen him so furious and I fought the onslaught of new tears, "She is upstairs in her room . . . on bed rest."  That word stopped him cold and he looked at me in disbelief.  "The doctor was here several days ago . . . "  Before I could finish he opened the door and ran out, I could hear him asking where Patience was.  I sat there crying while I'm sure Lord Edgehill or possibly even the lady herself took him to her room.  It wasn't until a soft knock that I looked up.

            "Would you like me to walk you to your room?" Leah asked barely in the doorway.  I nodded and reached out to take the hand that she offered.  I was trying to find dry spot on the handkerchief to wipe my face when she produced the one I had offered her earlier, Percival's.  I let out a soft whimper again when I saw his initials.  How had I gotten so far from the life I knew before he came?

* * * * *

            When we entered the parlor, no one was there so we walked slowly and quietly. Leah didn't say a word until we were climbing the stairs, "I'm glad your brother is here," she said in a whisper, "only because he might be able to break the contract . . . not that I wouldn't like you to be my sister," she looked up at me, "but because it would be better if you wanted it too."

            I had no idea what to say to her, but I understood exactly what she meant.  Why else would she have helped Thomas get me to the practice room today . . . so that he had the chance to explain.  Part of me loved her for taking such a role in this odd play of ours.  She was caught somewhere between her brother and a friend.  That was when I realized that she was very much like me when Jonathon was courting Emily.  I had a sudden urge to wrap my arms around her, understanding what she must feel like but instead I walked silently by her side until we reached the bedroom corridor.

            "Margaret," she whispered as we came to a stop.  I followed her line of sight to my door and saw that Thomas was there.  I watched for a moment, his tall figure leaning against the wall.  His head was bent over and his hand would occasionally move through the air as if he were explaining.  I felt my hand tighten around hers and she looked to me, "You're not ready to talk to him again, are you?"

            "I don't think I could even if I wanted to," I sniffled, dabbing my nose with the handkerchief.

            We began walking again, but Leah took a more formidable lead as if she was going to be my great protector.  Thomas looked up and took a step towards us, "No," she said sternly, "not now."  I was in awe of her in that moment and did not notice that he quickly took my hand in his.

            "Just let me say . . . that there is more to explain . . . if you'll let me," he let his thumb sweep over my hand before he released it.  He gave an informal bow and retreated to one of the other doors in the hallway.

            Leah sighed and looked at me apologetically before she moved to my door and opened it, "I'm not sure how long your brother will be, but I will make sure he knows where to find you."

            "Thank you, Leah," I smiled, "You have been a very good friend."  I put my hand on the door knob, ready to close it.

            "I still am," she replied sheepishly.  "If you need anything, all you have to do is knock."  With that she took the other side of the doorknob and pulled the door closed.

            I took a shaky breath as I turned around in my room, I had no idea what to do in that moment.  I had been hoping that Freddie would come for weeks, and now that he was actually here, if felt as if I was waiting all over again.

            With no other thoughts in my head I decided to dress for dinner.  As I crossed the room towards my wardrobe I noticed a fresh bundle of violets sitting on the corner of my bed.  I picked them up and gently pressed them to my nose so I could inhale their sweet scent.  What was it that Thomas had said earlier, I thought to myself.  "Thus, by Violet's magic power, all dark shadows passed away . . . " I repeated.