Chapter Forty-Nine

"Kaidan, up!" a sudden voice was practically shouting at me. 

I jumped awake, looking around the room. Jay was hopping round, trying to pull his other sock on. I took the opportunity to look over his body quickly. Yep, still as hot as he was yesterday. 

"You're going to be late, come on!"

I frowned before realising I had college. I scrambled out of bed as quick as I could. 

"You don't have time for a shower, you'll have to leave that for now," he told me as he pulled his shorts up.

Those shorts would have just looked weird, or stupid, on anyone else, but they framed Jay's figure perfectly. They were denim and ripped in places, the hems ragged. 

"Yeah, babe, stop looking at my backside and get dressed. You can admire me all you like later."

I blushed at his words and rushed to get dressed in the clothes he'd bought me. A pair of loose grey jeans and a V-neck T-shirt that apparently made me look hot. I bit my lip before deciding on wearing a thong today. Surprise him later. Thankfully he hadn't noticed, too busy flicking through his phone, car keys on his finger and wallet in his mouth. 

I looked around the room quickly.

"Where's my bag?" I asked. 

Jay looked up at me. "I don't know, best find it." His words were slightly garbled as he held the leather wallet between his teeth. "Downstairs?" he suggested.

I nodded and ran down the stairs. I looked around and it was nowhere to be seen. I looked in the living room and even in the basement. 

"Oh!" Jay exclaimed from the top of the stairs. "I know!" He sat on the bannister of the stairs and slid down it. My heart stopped until he'd safely reached the bottom and I breathed a sigh of relief. 

He strode towards the cupboard under the stairs and opened it, pulling out my bag. 

"Ollie put it in here when he cleaned the other day," he said as he handed it to me. 

"Thanks," I said as I slipped my shoes on, taking it from him. "Is Ollie basically your housekeeper?"

"Pretty much," he nodded, grabbing his sunglasses and slipping them onto the top of his head. "It started out as him teaching me how to clean properly but then he got frustrated with me and took over. He likes cleaning."

"Why?" I asked as I headed towards the door. He followed at pulled it open, ushering me out. 

"He needs to feel useful. Finn gives him chores to do because it makes him feel like he's being of service," he explained quickly, striding towards the car with his usual posture, as if he hadn't been crying last night while I'd taken him. 

"Oh," I said simply as I followed. 

Jay pulled my door open for me as he passed it. I climbed in and did my seatbelt, putting my bag at my feet. 

"How are you feeling?" I asked as he climbed in.

He didn't reply for a few moments as he started the car and put his phone and wallet in the cupholder. 

"I'm alright," he said, a small smile on his face. He reversed and started down the drive towards the road as he pulled his seatbelt across his chest with one hand. "Yeah, I'm okay."

"Good," I murmured, taking his hand before he could put it on the steering wheel with his other one. 

He smiled over at me and squeezed, holding our hands in his lap.