Chapter Twenty-Three

I knew who was standing in front of me, but I didn't look up to see his face. The pain from my stomach seemingly had spread into my head, because it now felt so heavy now, and moving my head felt like a damn chore.

"What are you doing here?" Jonah's voice came out snappy, which didn't help at all. I tried to answer, but the ache kept jabbing into my stomach, and every word died in my throat before I even opened my mouth. "Get up. Herberg's looking for you."

I weakly shook my head, hoping that he'd understand that I couldn't get up even if I wanted to.

"Goddammit, Taylors. I don't need an F in this class," he said angrily, but I kept shaking my head. He grabbed both of my upper arms and tried to pull my body up, but I weakly held out one of my arms to stop him.

"I can't," I finally croaked, "get up." I lifted my head weakly until I could meet his eyes, and he paused. "It fucking hurts."

I didn't know that I had been crying silent tears until his eyes fell to my wet cheeks, before going back to my eyes. It was probably the pained grimace on my whole face, the slight shaking of my body that was now noticeable, or maybe it was the delirious look in my eyes that finally softened the harsh look on his face. "What the hell happened to you?"

I wanted to answer, but I gasped instead when my stomach twisted again. I closed my eyes and groaned, burying my face into my chest. Thankfully, this time the pain went away just after a few seconds, and I let out a shaky breath to calm myself as the pain slowly dulled.

I didn't let my guard down, though, since I knew the pain was still coming.

"Sorry," I said weakly, still breathing heavily. I should feel embarrassed that I was basically bawling in front of my crush, but I was too blinded by the pain that was wrecking my lower body. My eyes were still closed, so I didn't know what Jonah was currently doing. I didn't really wanna see the look on his face as he tried to process the pathetic being that was crying on the floor.

I felt him move for a while, until there was a slight sound of his back hitting the locker next to me. "What's wrong?"

My cheeks burned slightly. "It's the time of the month."

He was silent, until, "Oh." He moved again. "I didn't know it hurt that bad."

"Normally, it doesn't for most people," I told him, my voice still barely a whisper. "I just have it worse."

Another jolt of pain hit and I gasped, but it was gone in a flash. It still throbbed slightly down there, but now it was just a constant pain. What I couldn't take was when the sudden ripping pain arrived, as if I literally got stabbed by a huge stake. But this, this constant state of throbbing, it was bearable. Not good, but bearable.

"Do you have some water?" I asked meekly, opening one of my eyes and glancing to my right. I saw him nod and he reached into his backpack, taking out a half-full bottle of water. I sniffled. "Thanks."

I took the bottle of Advil from my bag and plopped some pills into my mouth, gulping them down with water. I handed the water back to him, but he shook his head and said, "Just drink the rest."

I was relieved that he said so because the pain left me with thirst, and my throat was dry. I eagerly emptied the bottle, slightly sighing when the water and the Advil put me back in ease. "Thank you."

He didn't reply to that, but, "Do you want me to drive you home?" he offered, rather unsurely.

I took a breath and swallowed. "But what about the wedding thing?"

"You can't possibly attend class in this state," he pointed out. "I'll just tell Herberg you're sick."

"But—"

He silenced me with a dark stare.

"Alright." I looked at him. "I don't think I can stand up though."

His forehead knitted, and I couldn't read what his expression was. Was it confusion? Concern? A mix of both? "Why?"

I pointed to my stomach. "It won't allow me," I told him. "Whenever I move, it feels like it's being ripped into two. That's why I've been sitting here."

He almost looked like he felt bad for me. His expression then turned thoughtful as we fell into silence for a while. Suddenly, he stood up, taking his bag and mine and slung them over his shoulders, and then he put his hands on me.

Specifically, one hand on my back, and the other under my legs.

In a swift motion, he stood up and lifted my body with ease.

Holy shit. He was carrying me.

Bridal style.

And we weren't even married yet. In fact, we're currently skipping our own wedding.

I winced when another pain hit me as my body jolted in his arms, all my giddy thoughts about his arms on me forgotten. I felt him tense again and he asked, "Sorry. Is it hurting?"

I took a few deep breaths for a while, willing the ache to leave. After a while, I shook my head. "No."

He let out a breath. "Can you put one of your arms around my neck?"

And then the giddy thoughts came back. I slowly moved my arms and slung it over the back of his neck. His hold on me was gentle yet strong, so I felt comfortable in his arms. I sighed to myself, feeling all the energy in me sucked out after the little fight in my body.

"You tired?" Jonah asked. I nodded into his chest. "Just sleep. I'll try to sign you out and drive you home."

"You don't know my address," I mumbled.

"I'll ask, don't worry," he said quietly.

"Okay."

After that, I felt my body slowly relaxing, and everything faded away into the darkness. What was left was the feeling of warmth from his body that replaced the pain I had been feeling, and the sound of his slow breath at the top of my head.

Until suddenly, I heard him mutter.

"I still don't like you."

My face morphed into a scowl, and I gave him a sharp pinch in the shoulder. "Shut up. I'm trying to sleep, moron."

Satisfied by the sound of his yelp, I fell back to sleep.