2

After Faye announced our plans for the night, she helped me carry up all of my stuff into the apartment, the two of us having to take multiple trips because of my collection of clothes and shoes

After Faye announced our plans for the night, she helped me carry up all of my stuff into the apartment, the two of us having to take multiple trips because of my collection of clothes and shoes. I also brought small things that I deemed important enough to not leave behind.

I crash on the couch as soon as the last box is carried up, tired from the drive and the trips back and forth to the car and up the stairs. I should be in better shape, I could swear that I played sports all my life.

After giving myself a minute to recover, I walk back to my room and dig through my boxes until I find a black bikini to wear for later, cringing at the disorganized mess I make. My smile takes over my face once again as I walk into the rest of the apartment to see Faye munching on some pepperoni pizza that she must have ordered.

I walk over to the kitchen and grab a slice before draping myself lazily over Faye where she sits on the couch. She groans lightly, lifting her arms up to rest them on my back while I lay with my face in her ample chest, my legs haphazardly draped over the rest of her body. "Hun, you're super toned and totally hot, but goddamn, you're heavy." I giggle and turn my head to take a bite of my pizza, unbothered.

"Too heavy?" I ask her, looking up. Faye smiles but shakes her head.

"Nah, you're fine. I missed your fat ass anyway." She teases, resulting in the pinch I give her arm. Faye sticks her tongue out at me but we both settle into each other's familiar embrace. "I really did miss you," she says and I tilt my head up to see that hers is already angled down to look at me.

I pout. "I missed you so much. It was so much worse without you," I say and Faye pulls me closer. Her embrace feels so familiar. I'd missed her so much.

"You are loved. You have me, and you are never getting rid of me. And just you wait, Greenville. There is a storm coming and her name is Alexis Thompson. These poor people won't even know what hit them. One second they'll be minding their business and bam! They're in love with you and everything about you." She says while tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. I pout affectionately while looking into her eyes because despite her humor, I needed to hear the words I wasn't used to hearing. We sit like that for over an hour, with Faye drawing on my back and with my hands tightly clutching my best friend to me.

When silence falls upon us, I take the time to think about how far I'd come and what my future will be like. I am genuinely happy at this moment, but I knew that I couldn't do anything to risk it. The terms of my scholarship required me to maintain a 3.5 GPA or higher, and despite my strong work-ethic, I know that I have the potential to get caught up in this new atmosphere. Everything here is new and different, and I have the chance to start over, but only if I focus as well. I am determined to balance school, athletics, and a brimming social life for once.

I push Faye off of the couch and shake my head to myself, quickly replacing my worried expression with an elated one. I will focus on my priorities tomorrow. Tonight is my first and last night of no worries and I won't squander it.