Epilogue

The walls in my old room were white. My new room had blue walls and, much like my life, were different. Waiting to be filled with pictures of friends, new and old. Memories I'd cherish for the rest of my life. I liked it.

It was New Year's Eve and unlike most people, who were probably getting dressed up and ready to go out, I was dressed in overalls that were currently covered in paint stains.

It took three days to paint the remaining three walls of my room. The dark blue was a calming sight and a much needed break from the off-white color I was used to. Thankfully, I didn't have to tackle the painting project alone.

"Your mom still hates me," Miles mumbled as he entered my room.

"She doesn't hate you," I assured him.

"She glared at me."

"You dropped her Christmas gift from Tyler down the drain."

"I got the earrings back," he reminded me.

"And broke the sink, which flooded the bathroom."

He exhaled, defeated. "I should apologize again."

When he started to walk away I pulled him back, wrapping my arms around his neck. "Don't worry about it. She'll come around," I told him. "If she really hated you, you wouldn't even be allowed in the house."

When I told Mom that I had gotten back together with Miles she was wary at first. It took some convincing, but she was finally on board. However, that didn't stop her from coming into my room in the middle of the night to make sure I was alone.

"Does she like me enough to let me take you out tonight?" he asked, a hopeful smile on his face. "The Twins are having a party. Also, if we breathe in any more of these paint fumes we'll start losing brain cells."

He had a point. Even with the window opened the smell was still strong.

"Sounds fun," I said, giving him a quick peck on the lips. "Now, thank you for helping me paint, but you have to go so I can shower."

His lips curled up into a smirk, snaking his arms around my waist and pulling me closer. "I don't have to go just because you're showering. I have to shower too, and we are in a drought."

I started to laugh, then something over his shoulder caught my eye.

Catching on to my sudden silence, he asked, "Your mom is behind me, isn't she?"

I nodded and he quickly stepped away from me, turning to face her.

"I will show myself out."

As Miles walked past my mom I noticed that she was, in fact, glaring at him.

"He thinks you hate him," I said, once I heard the front door close.

Mom stepped further into my room, admiring the new paint job. "Oh, I don't hate him. It's just fun to mess with him."

I had to agree. It was fun watching him squirm whenever she was around.

"So, what's this party you were talking about?"

"It's at The Twin's," I told her, sliding my closet door open to find something to wear. When she didn't say anything I turned to her. "It's okay if I go, right?"

"Yeah, no, it's fine," she said, waving her hand. "It's just..."

Then it came. The Proud Mama smile. It had been a while since I'd seen it. The spine-crushing hug that came along with it was what I missed most.

"I'm so proud of you," she said, releasing me from the hug. "This time you really seem different. Lighter."

That's exactly how I felt. Lighter. No longer being weighed down by guilt and secrets. Everything was out in the open, no longer able to hold me back.

"Does that mean I can stay out till twelve?" She pursed her lips and I flashed her the most innocent grin I could. "Please?"

"If you're not in this house before two—"

"Thank you!" I squealed, wrapping her in a hug.

+ + +

The Twin's parties were always pretty low key. Only a few people were there, scattered around the living room, watching one of the many New Year's Eve broadcasts and talking among themselves.

Cameron immediately dragged Miles away to play some new video game. I found a seat on the floor next to Jem, who had a wide smile on her face as she stared down at her phone. At first I thought it was because of her boyfriend until I realized he was on the other side of the room talking to Owen. I also noticed that Owen and Chelsea seemed pretty cozy as she was napping on his shoulder.

"We did it!" Jem shouted, jumping up from her spot on the floor. "We got the uniforms! Coach just told me."

Cue the incoherent squealing and excited chatter. From what I could gather from an overly excited Jem, an anonymous donor donated the last bit of cash needed. They'd have fresh new uniforms just in time for the basketball season.

There was a group hug between the girls and me, everyone excited about the new uniforms and the new year.

"And to think," Kimber said, turning to me once the hug was over. "None of this would be happening if you hadn't accepted a sleepover invite from two complete strangers."

"Yeah," Chelsea chimed in, fully awake now. "What were you think, Loren? They could've been serial killers."

She made a good point. I guess I was more desperate than I thought to commit to making a fresh start. Considering how those past few months turned out, I think it's one of the best decisions I ever made.

+ + +

"There you are," I looked up from the shimmer pool to Miles who was making his way over to me. "It's a little cold for a swim, Mermaid."

He was probably right about it being cold, but at the moment I was sweating. Kimber decided to bring out Just Dance. After playing a couple of rounds, it had gotten so hot in there I had to get out.

Miles wrapped his arms around my waist from behind, resting his chin on my shoulder. I leaned into him, placing my hands over his. For a moment we just stared out at the pool. Silent. The nose from the party inside being the only sound.

"It seems like it was yesterday," he spoke, breaking the silence. "We were here meeting for the first time."

Holding back a laugh, I elbowed him in the ribs.

"Too soon?" he chuckled, kissing my cheek.

I remembered that night vividly. If someone had told me I'd be dating the jerk who threw me into a freezing cold pool I would've died of laughter. Yet here I was. Wrapped in his arms and feeling a sense of comfort I never thought I'd have.

"I think the countdown is starting."

He was right. I could hear them inside counting down from ten. As they got closer to the end, all the good moments that had happened flashed in my mind. And for the first time in years I was excited for the future.

I turned around to face Miles, wrapping my arms around his neck. The new year was just a few seconds away and I was happy to start it with him.

Three... Two... One...

+ + +

And that's a wrap guys!

Thank you so much for reading and I really hope you enjoyed Loren's story!!!