Chapter 13

"You're fucking crazy!" I shout, in a casual tone, but she just keeps walking. "You're gonna get soaked and sick and then you'll die and- and she did it." I mutter the last part to myself, bringing my cup of coffee to my mouth.

"It's the middle of November!" She shouts back, her arms outstretched, and I'm just waiting for her to start dancing in the middle of the street. "This is probably the last rain of the year, come join me!"

I shake my head, more in disbelief than as an answer to her kind offer. When I called and asked her out for a coffee around an hour ago, I had no idea I'd be standing under a roof in front of some building, watching her twirl around in the rain. It might be because I never took her as a type of person that would want to dance in the rain. Or dance at all. Or have fun, in general. But now it's like I got all three of those at once, and it's hard to take in.

She's dancing in the rain. Angel is dancing in the rain and having a fun time.

Nope, still not sinking in. "Your coffee's getting cold," I say loudly so she'd hear me, but I still get no reaction from her. "You might get hit by a car. Or a truck. Or a boat."

I keep trying to get her off the street, partly because I'm actually scared that some drunk might be driving in her direction right about now, but nothing I say seems to be working. She must have had another glass of scotch before she closed the restaurant.

"You're no fun." Now she's just standing in the middle of the road, just looking up at the sky. And a part of me actually wants to be there with her. "You go around pretending you're so much more fun than me, but when I wanna do something, you just bail on me."

"This isn't exactly my definition of fun, love," I chuckle, gripping my paper cup with both hands to warm my hands, and wonder how the fuck is she not shaking because of the cold. She's only wearing a button-up shirt and her leather jacket that are completely soaked; I'd be twitching and lying in a fetal position if I were her.

"Yeah, of course it isn't." And she's finally walking toward me, I mean, fucking finally. "Your definition of fun is probably the opposite of fun."

I scowl, though when I look outside of my nerd box, it's only reasonable that she thinks that. "I beg to differ," I say in a fake offended tone, as she keeps walking toward me at a painfully slow pace, a smirk spreading across her wet face just as slowly. I feel like this is going to be painful for me.

"There you have it," She points at me, "What kind of a fun person uses the term 'I beg to differ'?"

"An educated one," I reply quickly, to which her smile widens until she's almost laughing, and shakes her head lightly. I can almost hear her thoughts, saying 'why am I even hanging out with this, this... person?'

"Educated, hm?" She raises her eyebrows, pretending to be fascinated. Asshole. "That's so sexy, tell me more about your education."

Yeah, she definitely had a glass of something before we met up. "Well," I start slowly, deciding to play along. "It begins with this thing where you purchase books, and stay up until the sun has risen to study from them."

"Books? Studying?" Angel cuts me off, leaning forward so she's close enough to get my clothes wet too. I think this is a good time to start gathering self-control. "Goodness gracious, I'm practically soaking."

"Yeah," I chuckle, looking down at her white shirt and leather jacket, and the little droplets of water falling from them and onto my jeans and shoes. "You're dripping. You'll get sick."

I'd be dumb if I didn't know that we're not talking about the same thing. "Oh don't worry about me, I haven't gotten sick since-"

She abruptly stops talking, and if she wasn't that close to me, I wouldn't be able to see the slight grimace she's started making. "Oh, fucking hell," Is all she says before quickly turning her face to the side, and sneezing loudly in her hand. And I'd be laughing right now if I wasn't actually concerned.