Chapter Thirty | Just Some Guy

I couldn't do it.

I made my small journey over to the cellars. They were located underground about a mile or two away from the pack house. It made sense to me to keep people prisoner a small distance from the heart of a territory in case anything were to happen that they would escape. Some packs kept their cellars under their pack house. As someone who spent a portion of their life in a cell surrounded by people like me, I never understood it. I never understood keeping threats that close to you.

I talked to two of the guards that were standing outside of the cellar entrance. They were nice. They told me that I could go right in because my mate had apparently told them in advance that I would be coming. It took me about twenty minutes to eventually get the balls to go inside, and only about four seconds to turn right back around and head back to the house.

Like I said, I couldn't do it.

I know. I know. Me, Kaia Aalish, being too afraid to speak to her father. Can I really be blamed, though? After the disaster that happened last time, I truly planned on never speaking to, let alone seeing, him again. I made a mental promise to myself that I wouldn't let myself get that low, but here I am, now—avoiding my mate at all costs, so he doesn't realize how big of a baby I am because I was too much of a wimp to speak to my father.

"Hello, Luna," a woman greeted me as I walked past her on my way into the pack house. She was an older lady, so I assumed she was just in to visit one of her kids. Anyway, her comment took me by surprise. I don't think either of us were prepared for the 'uck, hi?' that I responded with. It was her mostly, though. I don't think many wolves are used to their Lunas gagging at the mention of their title.

I made my way into the house, leaving the woman there speechless. Talk about a first impression.

I was definitely not on my way to get or even speak to Matteo. He would just make things with my dad worse. He's just too protective, sometimes. Sure, Matteo has the ability to calm me down like no other person, but he also has the ability to put all of my emotions into overdrive. I'm not sure how I'd react with both him and my father in the same room, again. And to be honest, I didn't want to find out. I wasn't about to get Jack, either. He was like the mother I never had. He'd just give me some big speech about doing what I think is right and what is best for me and yada yada yada bleh. I appreciate Jack, but I'd rather not be treated like a toddler.

"Hey, you," I snapped at some girl sitting in the first floor lounge room. Her head snapped around to make eye contact with me. Immediately, she became defensive looking like she was going to stand up and try to rip my insides out through my belly button until she realized who I was. Her features softened, and she lowered her gaze.

"Luna," she said respectfully, making me scrunch up my face.

"Um, yeah," I replied while doing my best to hold back my gag. Shaking off my disgust, I pointed at her accusingly. I didn't miss how her eyes grew, and her face paled a bit. She looked like she was about to pee herself. "You hang out with Daniella, right? Like you're friends?" She nodded. I knew I had seen her and some other girls hanging out with Daniella on a few occasions. "So, you'd probably know where she is," I concluded, earning me another nod. I groaned in frustration with her wordless state. "Christ, I'm not your Alpha. You can speak."

"Uh, yeah," she drug out with another nod.

"Well, take me there," I deadpanned. I wanted to laugh and simultaneously scoff as I watched her quickly jump up from the couch as if someone just lit a match under her.

"Um, you can just follow me," she said as she began to walk out of the lounge.

"That was sort of the point," I retorted as I trailed behind her.