13

The object in question is an extra one of Chase's jerseys, and as soon as I extend it out to get a better look at it, all of the players and cheerleaders also turn around, some looking at me in confusion, some with envy

"Oh shit," I hear Faye say from next to me as she sees the article of clothing. The jersey in question is just like everyone else's on the team, but it has "ALEXANDER 10" on the back written in big black lettering. It also has a black armband because he's the captain of the team. It is identical to the one he is wearing right this second.

"Nice jersey, why don't you go play in it?" I say teasingly trying to hide my nervous excitement.

"I'm already wearing one. I want you to wear that one," Chase says while giving me a once-over. Thinking about his offer for a second, I ignore the warning in my head and hesitantly slide the jersey on. It smells freshly washed, like laundry detergent and I pout at the lack of his familiar scent that I'm used to from wearing his clothing.

It's like I'm collecting his shirts at this point. Once is chance, twice is a coincidence, but three times makes this a pattern. Chase smiles at his success and turns back around to his team who are now running onto the field to start the game.

As the game starts, the glares directed towards me and my newly acquired jersey dwindle but don't disappear completely, not unlike the blush on my face. Faye and the cheerleaders make their way to the middle of the field two more times, once at half time, and lastly at the end of the game when our team is announced as the winners. The Gators prevail with a score of 5-2, two of those goals scored by Chase who I now know plays in the "forward" or "striker" position.

Faye comes back to where I'm sitting, out of breath but with a huge smile on her face after her last performance. We gather our stuff and start walking towards the parking lot exit. Before I make it very far,  I'm stopped by a very large, very sweaty guy covered in tattoos. "Good game Maddox!" I say cheerfully and genuinely mean it as I jump up and give him a hug. He wraps his arms around my waist, easily supporting my weight with his arms.

"Thanks Thompson, glad to see you came," Maddox says with a smile, which soon turns into a knowing smirk when he glances at something behind me. Everything is so easy with Maddox, uncomplicated. He leans his face down to whisper in my ear.

"Don't look now but lover boy is coming over," Maddox says, probably remembering the time that Chase seemed to claim his territory by interrupting us at breakfast. I tighten my arms around his neck, irrationally wanting to see if I can draw out a reaction from Chase.

Just as Maddox leans his head into my neck, I hear the clearing of a throat coming from behind me. I unwrap myself from Maddox slowly and turn to face Chase only to spot a nonchalant expression on his face. His eyes automatically dart to my lower lip which is caught between my teeth.

I stand with my hip jutted out, in front of an unmoving Maddox, the two of us waiting for Chase's words. "Keep the jersey, it looks better on you," Chase says lowly while walking closer to me. Maddox is now a few steps further and he is watching this scenario play out amusedly.

Chase leans into my ear to whisper "Although I'd rather imagine you wearing only that". Before I can manage a response he tucks a stray piece of hair behind my ear and walks away. I turn my stiff body around when I hear deep laughter coming from behind me. Knowing it's Maddox, I plaster on a fake glare and walk up to him, poking his chest.

"It's not funny," I say, trying to hold my feigned anger.

"You're a smart ass until he comes around and you just freeze. Every. Time." Maddox says while continuing to laugh at me. "He's not that charming."

Grumbling, I turn to find Faye talking to some other players on the team, and I walk up to them waiting for her to finish flirting. The whole drive home, I think of the heat of Chase's lips by my ear, and his jersey still covering my body.

I lock the door behind us as we step into our apartment and Faye plops down onto the couch to watch something. In need of a shower, I make my way into the bathroom. As I step out of the shower I look in the mirror, noticing a few fading hickeys that Chase must have left behind, along with the memory of our night together that is both a blessing and a curse.

Being around Chase feels so good. No, not good. Natural. And the best part of it all is that he makes me forget. In the time I spent with Chase, I forgot about my past, my parents, my old life, who I used to be. And biggest of all, the person I'm supposed to be.

I know what I want in life, and I'm so much better off here in Greenville than I was in my old prison of a house with my parents acting as the demon guards to my personal hell. If I wasn't so dedicated to keeping my scholarships, I would act as if I was completely free to do what I want.

Or who I want.

But I am dedicated. I can afford a few slip-ups. What I cannot afford to do is fall. Because even if I survive the fall, there's no telling whether I'll be able to stand and climb my way back up to the top.

 Because even if I survive the fall, there's no telling whether I'll be able to stand and climb my way back up to the top