Chapter 24 - Inside The Belly Of The Beast

"James! I think she's coming to..." Albert panicked in the back seat as the priest drove silently through the empty streets.

Elizabeth was laying on Albert's lap, consciousness was coming back to her but her vision was blurry. She moaned from the pain on the back of her head that knocked her out. Her arm felt so heavy, as much as she wanted to raise it and sooth her pulsing head she could not lift it.

Her eyelids fluttered and all she could see was a blurry face looking down at her with panic stricken eyes, yellow street lights blinded her poor sight.

"Un..cle..." she groaned sleepily.

They arrived to the chapel and pulled the car all the way into the back. James got out of the driver seat, his serious expression revealed no remorse or worry. He was completely calm.

"Pick her up." he blurted as he held the door open for Albert.

The accomplice used all his strength, despite his arms shaking from being a nervous wreck, he lifted her up fairly easily.

"Why did we even bring her here? I thought you said you had somewhere to put her" Albert reduced his voice to a whisper, his eyes darted around making sure no one could see them as he held onto the slightly unconscious girl.

"Hurry up and bring her inside." James led the way through a side door of the chapel. As Albert tried his best to see in the darkness, he had felt Elizabeth grow a little heavier. Her eyes opened and she tried to lift her upper body.

"Wh-where am I..?"

"Oh god..." Albert began to panic.

Elizabeth recognized him, those clear blue eyes behind the black framed glasses. Albert was beginning to sweat from his forehead, his face grew pale.

"Albert, what's going on?"

"I-...you-...J-James!" Albert stammered and missed his footing in the darkness. He frantically stumbled backwards and backed into a wall, both bodies fell on the floor.

Elizabeth hit her head yet again on the hard wood floors. The pain surged from her head all the way down to her toes.

"Dammit Al, can't you keep it together?" James stood glaring down at both of them on the floor.

Elizabeth was still confused as to what was going on, but upon seeing the priest she knew it was nothing good.

"Father Beckford.." her pulse and adrenaline was rushing through her veins. She knew he was dangerous to be alone with, immediately she felt like running home but her legs felt asleep. "I need to go home..."

James merely look down at her with an empty expression, his hands were pocketed into his black pants. He watched as she tried to get up slowly.

Tearing his eyes off her he looked over at Albert and instructed him once more, "Pick her up again."

Albert, although scared of what was to come of everything, obliged without hesitation.

"What are you doing?! Put me down!"

He threw her body over his shoulder this time and gripped her hips firmly.

Elizabeth kicked and screamed and wiggled as much as possible.

What is going on!? I want to go home!!

Albert couldn't hold on, she was slowly growing stronger from her prior state. It must have been the panic, she must have realized the true peril she was in. Suddenly she elbowed Albert hard on the side of the face. Once again he dropped her.