You're The One That I Want

I've been sitting on this story for a couple of months, waiting for just the right time to finish it. I just got back from the beach and I'm all ready to go.

They say just write what you love and other people will love it, too. This story is somewhat self indulgent. If you get to the movie reference and you don't like that movie, I won't be offended if you skip this story. Although, I think you'll like it.

I do not own these characters, I just write them as a way to love and care for them.

YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I WANT

Standing in front of the glass window in front of Tony's workshop, I dip my head down low to look around for him. He's nowhere to be seen, although I was pretty sure he said this is where he'd be this morning. I wrap my knuckles on the glass gently, and finally, I see movement when Tony's legs and feet appear sliding out from under one of his hot rods. He looks agitated that it's me as he walks towards the door and wipes his greasy hands on a rag.

"Hey," I smile, trying to not look offended at his obvious frustration with me.

"Sparkles," Tony nods. "I thought you were going to be—"

"A beautiful strawberry blonde?" I laugh.

"Yeah."

Tony turns back inward to the shop and starts logging into a computer like he's too busy to talk to me.

"Sorry to drop in and interrupt you but I was hoping for a favor," I say, holding my breath at the end.

"Hmm, a favor..." he doesn't look amused. "That's what I'm here for," he rolls his eyes.

"If it's not a good time..."

Tony holds his palms out towards me. "No, I'm sorry. I'm just in a mood. Maybe spending money will make me feel better. So what's the favor?"

"I don't need money," I say. "I don't think this will cost you anything. And you might enjoy hearing that it's not actually for me."

A slow grin begins to wash over the bottom of his face. "Someone I like better than you?" He already knows the answer.

I can't help but laugh. "For sure."

"And what does Miss Y/N need?" Tony's face suddenly looks like a ray of sunshine and he's got a crooked smile as he folds his hands over his lap and kicks his feet up on a desk. He's waiting for me to go on.

"She's..." Ugh, it's hard to say it out loud and to Tony, at that. "She's kind of upset with me."

Tony feigns shock and rests his hand over the center of his chest where there used to be an arc reactor. Oh, this was a really stupid idea. I really want to turn around and walk away but it's for Y/N. My chest starts to ache thinking about her being upset with me.

"Whadja-doooo?" He's grinning like the cat who ate the canary.

"Oh," I sigh, "we had a misunderstanding, it wasn't that big a deal. It's just... I could've handled it better."

Tony nods, it seems like he understands and I have to hope he's done giving me a hard time. "Well you did just get back from Baghdad and we all know how that one went." He purses his lips and widens his eyes. He stands up from his desk and approaches me, squeezing my shoulder. "Been there, done that, Cap. Pepper has put up with a lot from me over the years. Historically, I don't do well after a botched mission so I think I see the problem here." Tony turns to start pacing and then swivels around to look at me. "What can I do for you? - I mean, for Y/N...?"