31 | REAPER OF VICTORY |

➖FORKS➖

FORKS

"SHE'S MISSING, NOT DEAD," Stella Black insisted as she paced worriedly in Charlie Swan's living room.

The recently married woman was at her wit's end with the lack of help of both the Italian and American government in finding her daughter. Exactly two days before Stella and Billy Black's wedding, the Florence University had gone up in flames in the middle of the night. Majority of the inhabitants were able to escape the carnage that was the dormitory building, where the fire apparently began right outside Rory's quarters.

Officials had not been able to uncover any remains from the burned down room, but they were adamant Aurora Reyes had been in her room by the time the fire began as surviving witnesses agreed. But without a body to show, Stella refused to believe her daughter was dead even if the whole town put up a memorial for Rory Aden.

"I can't imagine how painful this is, Stella," Charlie shook his head sadly, "but the news said the authorities haven't been able to clear out all the debris and there was a large chance there are some bodies trapped underneath still."

She flung out a long string of curses in spanish. Billy and Charlie exchanged looks.

Billy reached out to grab her hand, stopping her from pacing and forcing her to look at him. Her expression softened as her new husband spoke to her. "Stella, even if Rory was able to escape, don't you think she would've found a way to contact us? It's been three weeks since the fire."

"I need to go to Italy, I need to find my baby," Stella said pacing again while looking up available flights.

"We all want nothing more than Rory to be alive and safe, but the Italian police have done all they could, going to Florence right now might not be the best move," Charlie advised her warily.

Most had accepted Rory's death because it was the only way the town could continue a semblance of normality—there was no possible way Rory could have survived the fire. To continue a feckless search in a country an ocean away would be insane. It was much healthier to accept the truth.

"I'm the only one still looking for her!" Stella blurted out with wild, puffy eyes filled with stubborn denial. "If my Rory...was dead, I'd feel it. I know in my heart, my daughter is out there. She needs me." Billy grabbed her hand to sooth her the best way he could.

"Dad?"

"We're in here, Bells," Charlie called out as the two teenagers entered the house.

Stella cleared her throat and wiped under her eyes as Billy rubbed her back. The three adults gathered themselves.

Bella walked into the living room with a deep frown. Jacob Black trailed in behind her, the towering, russet skinned boy carrying just as solemn an expression as Bella. They were visiting the memorial the town had put up of Rory in the woods next to her home she liked to frequent despite warnings of danger.