17. RUTHLESS

The adrenaline rush came as I tapped vigorously, racing my last few passed pawns towards the eighth rank against the computer. From prior experience, I had familiarised myself with the fact that being aggressive first was very important.

My default was always defensive to start, and only being sneaky and coming in with full forces when I was certain my opponent was a beatable dud - it was a safe plan, to some degree, but I'd seen that it was also crucial to make sure your opponent knew you meant business. 

Being aggressive forced your opponent to go defensive and block each attack. Sometimes the opponents did a counter-attack but being first always had some sort of advantage.

After all, it was a game of war - cold, calculated and ruthless, all while maintaining that facade of civilisation and refinery.

Soon enough, I promoted my pawn to a Queen. In a matter of a minute, the computer flashed a notice that pleased me greatly.

CHECKMATE.

My rating went up. 

Angeline Whittaker gave me one of those Small Polite Waves™ as I plopped down beside her in the lecture theatre

Angeline Whittaker gave me one of those Small Polite Waves™ as I plopped down beside her in the lecture theatre. Those waves, I knew well, since I used them too. Fake, sweet and introverted.

"Hi," I greeted while flipping the lecture table up and setting my laptop up on it, choosing to start off with one of those awkward lines because I literally did not know what to say, but just hated to break the social interaction chain too early. 

"How's life?"

"It's fine... just stressful, as usual."

"Huh, same," I nodded, adjusting my butt on the chair, allowing the awkward silence to come between us. I stole a glance at Angeline's expressionless face, before turning back to my computer. Maybe I should go back to rearranging my Pinterest boards, or play some 2048 as sneakily as possible. Rianne and the rest of the prefects were three rows behind us; with this distance, she probably couldn't see my screen.

Or could she?

Angeline shifted in her seat, leaning forward a little as she cleared her throat, "Hey, Selene?"

I blinked once in surprise. What was this, the first time I spoke to her without eager probing and my awful conversation starter package? 

"Yeah?"

"Don't you think it's kinda weird?"

Angeline? Talking to me about something being weird? 

"What's weird?"

"So, you know how someone sent that message blast of Natalie calling someone? And then a while later, Gillian got into trouble for her post about Mrs Walters on Instagram. And now, Lisa's been reported for truancy of Mdm Lorenzo's class. Something's fishy about it. I mean, they were all friends and they got into trouble, one after another."