Chapter 10

The Departed

❇❇❇❇

Tear her heart out and burn her soul down, she'll still come back for the one she loves.

❇❇❇❇

Elijah and Rebekah were at the airport, about to board their private jet when he felt a soul-searing pain in his heart. 

He dropped down to his knees and rolled over in agony holding his chest. Rebekah tried to help him as she grew worried for brother. She was scared that Esther was somehow involved and that he was in grave danger.

Slowly, the pain faded and he was left panting on the floor with his eyes closed when suddenly an image flashed in front of his eyes that made his blood run dry in his veins and his heart was caged in a tight leash of fear and dread. Much more intense than what he had felt the day before.

He slowly got back on his feet, ignoring Rebekah's pleas to tell her what happened. 

Elijah looked at her with glossy eyes and grabbed her hands in his. He closed his eyes and forced his thoughts into her mind.

She saw what her brother had just seen. They saw Tyler staking Isabelle in the heart with a black stake, Damon and Tyler desiccating Niklaus and they also saw how Damon once again snapped Jeremy's neck when he tried to stop them from taking Niklaus.

But what hit them the worst was the fact that Isabelle didn't heal. She didn't wake up with a vicious smirk or a sarcastic comment. She just laid there, with her hand stretched out towards her best friend and an eerily calm expression resting on her now void face.

She was dead.

Isabelle was dead.

Elijah felt like he couldn't breathe properly, he felt his senses give up and his hands left Rebekah's and he fell to the ground on his knees.

The girl he had begun to fall for, was dead.

He had yet to tell her how beautiful she was, how incomplete he felt without her, how he loved when she smiled, how he wanted to hold her in his arms and never let go. 

He didn't tell her that she was his savior, that unintentionally, she had helped him let go of things that caused him pain. 

He didn't tell her how grateful he was for always being there for his family. He didn't tell her that his siblings were acting much more like a family than they had ever done over the past thousand years. 

He didn't tell her that her presence made the world a better place for him. He didn't tell her that she made him feel every emotion way more deeply than he ever did. She did not know that waking up next to her was like a drug to him.

He couldn't tell her that she meant the world to him.

He did not have the chance to tell her all this and now she was just gone. 

His insides felt like they were on fire, his heart stung at her loss and his mind went numb. He couldn't feel anything. 

She was snatched away from him way before he could become hers and he was breaking on the inside.

Elijah could feel his heart aching with every breath he took. He could feel his lungs giving up and his chest felt like it would crack open and his dead heart would pop out any moment.