24

Angel

I've been thinking a lot about the man Chauncey that died last week at the hospital. I later found out that his last name was Amore, which was kind of shocking because that's my last name. You don't meet to many people with that name.

I didn't get to make his candlelight, but his funeral is today and I'm going to do exactly what he told me.

Something about that man was different... I just don't know what it is; I can't put my finger on it...

I typed in the address that his service was going to be held at.

I pulled up to the church and stared at the long line of people that were going into the church. I got out and stood in the line.

I looked to the front of the line and noticed two beautiful young brown skinned girls with matching black dresses. They couldn't be more than the age of 21. One was holding a little girl that looked like she was about 4 years old.

As the line moved up more and more to view the body, the more hysterical the girls got. It broke my heart. Tears fell down my face thinking about my mother.

It brought back the feelings of grief that I still have for my mom. Even though my mom betrayed me and put a man over me, she was still my star in the sky. I absolutely adored and admired her. I loved her no matter what mistakes she made, even when she didn't love me back... My love for her was unconditional and it always will be.

The two girls finally got to the casket. One leaned down and kissed the lips of Chauncey.

Once I got to the casket, I looked down at him. They had him dressed so nicely. I touched his face remembering the conversation we had. Looking at him one last time, I walked away.

I followed the line where the people were walking to sit down. I sat at the back of the church.

An usher came around passing out obituaries. She made her way over to me and passed me one. I thanked her and looked down at it.

Chauncey Deonte Amore...
March 2, 1977 - April 12, 2018

I flipped the page and saw a picture of him the two girls I saw earlier smiling while he kissed their cheeks.

My two beautiful daughters Sunny and Star. Daddy loves you both so much. Continue to be great.

My reading was cut off by a voice coming through the speakers of the church. "Okay is everyone settled in? Alright... Amen." The pastor said. I closed the obituary and looked up.

***

We were getting to the end of the service. People were now sharing their stories that they had of Chauncey. Some were funny, some were sad. Some people were just telling him how much they were going to miss him.

"Is there anyone else that would like to share something?" No one spoke or stood up.

Okay Angel. It's now or never.

I stood up. "Alright young lady, come on up." The pastor said as I made my way up to the front of the church. I grabbed the mic and opened my mouth to speak.

"Hi Good Morning everyone." I said as I got situated. "Good Morning" They all said in unison.

"My name is Angel, Nurse Angel, Ang. Whatever you want to call me." I laughed lightly as they laughed.

"I'm a Registered Nurse at Johnson's Memorial Hospital, were Chauncey passed away. And um, I was ordered by my Doctor to go to the roof with the team, get him, and keep him calm." I sighed.