Chapter 68

"Get up we're leaving. Now." Damon said while he stood by the door waiting for me to get up.
He had folded his arms across his chest, his jaw tight.
He was looking rather impatient.

"Alpha, I think you need to hear the whole story about this."
Evelyn spoke from her seat at the end of the room.
She tried to make direct eye contact with Damon to relay her message with urgency but Damon was staring at me, willing me to get up with the sheer force of his gaze.

"No, I don't. You're just gonna fill her head with nonsense and frighten her." He snapped as his eyes flashed at her and then looked at me to get a move on, since I was still firmly rooted to my seat. He looked on edge, and I wondered how much of our conversation he had actually heard. How long had he been in here? I didn't even feel his presence.

Damon didn't look like he was interested in any talk about witches and sacrifices. Almost as if he didn't believe that they could do anything. I on the other had still dealt with chills as I remembered how they had looked at me.
Me.
She had said 'Get her.' Get me. I was the prize that they wanted to collect.
I wouldn't be able to push this out of my mind so easily.
I looked back at Evelyn, waiting for her to say something to convince Damon that this might actually be something serious.

Instead, she just leaned back in her chair and smiled. She smiled at him. A small knowing smile as she faced him head on.
"I can see it in your eyes Alpha, you worry for your Luna. You feel like you can protect her but I assure you. You cannot. Not from this group." She told him. Damon shifted in the doorway, his expression still hard, but I could see him flinch for the briefest of seconds.

"These witches are more dangerous than you think. You yourself identified their site as a dark magic site. You do understand why it is called dark magic and not just magic?" Her smile increased slightly, as she saw the resolve in Damon to pull me away and forget about this issue, start to diminish. She had him now.
Damon kept his face still, his eyes flitting from me to her and finally staying on her. He shook his head firmly about to speak but she cut him off.

"You don't have the power to protect her Alpha, you know you don't."
Evelyn deadpaned.

"Oh and you do?" He asked her.

"No." She paused. "Actually I don't."  She stated simply.

Pardon?

Please tell me that was a joke.

A group of supernatural beings are after my head- maybe quite literally too- and she has no ability to save me and yet still has the grace to say it so calmly as though she was saying that she spilt the last carton of milk in the fridge.

I wouldn't know what else to do. Where else to go.
She's my only hope.
Dying isn't an option for me. Not anymore.

"Not right now anyway," She added to my very intense relief. "These witches are far too strong, and I am but just one Crafter." So she doesn't refer to herself as a witch. Good to know. I'll refrain from calling her that to her face. "I might need a few things that may take a while to gather. But that would be able to protect her just for this season. We would need to look for a long term solution to this problem." She said turning to look at me.

"What do you mean? This season? There are more?"
I asked her. A lump was beginning to form in my throat, constantly growing each second with fear and anxiety.
It was getting harder to swallow each passing minute.
She slowly nodded as if she was scared that I would faint.

I probably looked like I was about to.

"I don't know much about them but I know as far as this." She started, all her gaze fixed on Damon. "They're performing a celestial ritual. And blood is needed. This blood happens not only to be Alpha blood but moon blessed blood. Which sums up your Luna perfectly. But I believe you already know this, don't you?" She asked him. I turned back to look at him.
He nodded sharply, avoiding my gaze. "Her mother was moon blessed. I know."