Chapter Twenty-Eight

Sang

Sang

My thoughts were jumbled while the students in the stands sat in silence, staring at Gideon in pale-faced wonderment.

He will die, the words caressed my mind in forbidden enticement. If only.

"Why is everyone looking at you like that?" I questioned while dabbing my bleeding nose with the fabric of my combat jacket, trying to ignore the sharp sting. Gideon didn't answer. His barbed tail swooshed back and forth across the sand, and his vibrant stare focused completely on the male that I was fighting with.

The boy looked about ready to soil himself.

"Gods," Monroe choked out. His eyes were wide and his skin was a sickly pale shade. "What was that?" I didn't know what had him so panic-stricken, but I wished it was me who put that look on his face. While I was distracted by the councilman, Gideon wrapped his front talons in a steel like grip around my opponent's legs.

"Gideon, stop! That's enough!" The dragon paid no mind to my words as he shot straight up into the sky, making the crowd scream out. I forcefully pushed myself through Gideon's figurative walls and let myself see through him. Red tinged his vision. I'd seen Gideon angry, but the force I was feeling went far beyond that. He wasn't just angry, he was irate.

Little One in pain. Protect her.

"Gideon, stop this," I demanded. My eyes squeezed shut in pain as he tried to block me out.

"Sang!" I heard a voice yell just as a large and dark blue form thumped into the sand.

Oren.

Silas beckoned me to join him atop his dragon and I wasted no time standing there. Once my arms wrapped around Silas's midsection, the dragon shot off into the sky. We spent too much time searching through the white puffy clouds before we found Gideon holding on to the boy, who was dangling upside down, hollering muffled words.

"Gideon!" I called. His eyes met mine and narrowed. Movement from behind him caught my eye, and just as I looked passed him, a red scaled dragon flew into him and sunk its talons directly into his back. Gideon screeched as his head whipped around, fangs ready to tear into flesh.

"Sang, talk to him. Calm him down," Silas ordered, his deep brown eyes doing nothing to calm me.

"I'm trying!" I yelled over the noise before speaking to Gideon,"You need to stop this. We're supposed to be showing them that we're good, and this isn't helping!"

Biting into the other dragon's leg, he replied, "He will die for what he has done."

I would have kept fighting him, but I could feel his steel resolve and thirst for blood as if it were my own. There was no stopping him with words. He needed action to break through that hazy, red fog. I squeezed my arms around Silas before letting go. If my plan didn't work...No. It had to work.