Chapter 51 - The Farmer's Market

Mom barges into my room. "Get up."

My eyes widen. It's 6 in the morning. "What are you talking about?"

"You're coming with me to get the groceries." She nudges me out of bed.

She's lost her mind. "Is Michael coming?"

"No."

I frown. "Why not?" Why is it just me? Not even Megan or Charlie?

"Because you're not going to get your brother to sweet talk your way out of this." She wraps her scarf around her neck, adjusting her coat. Then her eyes narrow. "Or is he in on it already?"

"No." I wave my hands wildly. "He doesn't know."

"Then hurry up before he does." She leaves my room.

I stagger out of bed, grabbing my phone. Once I've brushed my teeth and gotten dressed, I go downstairs.

"Hurry," Mom says. "Before your father finds out I didn't bring him along for 'the showdown.'"

I imagine Michael saying the same thing. 'Mom found out? ... And you didn't let me record it?' I pick up the pace.

Once we're in the car, I expect Bri and Krys to show up. But then I realize I'm not with Michael. It would be weird for them to just pop up, considering they don't know Mom. She knows Suzie better than them, and it's pretty early. It might not even be their shift.

If Onai or Ethel strolled up to the car, I could only imagine Mom's face. Still, they need to know where I am. I lower the passenger window.

"What are you doing?" Mom asks.

I stretch dramatically, sighing into the open air. "Nothing like an early trip to get some groceries to start off the day."

She rolls the window up as quickly as she can. "It's too cold for that, Mia." She turns the heat up, staring at me like a traitor. [A/N - The cold never bothered me anyway]

That should be enough for whoever's on guard duty. We're just going to Walmart anyway, so it's no big deal.

Mom pulls out of the driveway, sighing as she sits back in her seat. "Did he do something to you?" she asks suddenly.

I raise an eyebrow. "What?"

"Carson," she says. "Is that why you cheated on him?"

"No," I say.

She nods, watching the road. It's quiet for a while before she tries again. "Did you want to get even with him? Because he cheated first?" She's not being rude or sarcastic. She sounds genuinely concerned.

I shake my head. "It's not like that—"

Her breath catches in her throat.

I look into her eyes. "What?"

She covers her mouth. "Did..." Her voice drops. "Did his brother take advantage of you?"

"No." I wave my hands frantically.

Her eyes widen. "I knew it."

"Mom," I'm screaming now.

But she's already made up her mind. "Carson was drunk. His brother said he'd give you a ride. 'No problem.'" She imitates a masculine voice. "'Anything for my future sister-in-law.'"

I nearly gag. Aiden is not my brother. I wish she'd stop deciding things on her own.

She slaps the wheel. "Then he tried something! The scoundrel!"