Chapter 52 - Shen

I don't think I'm breathing. The girl doesn't say anything.

I swallow the lump growing in my throat. "Are you... Dawn or Bloodmoon?" I ask.

She still doesn't say anything. She just watches the bundle in her arms.

I back away slowly. I don't know any of the brothers' numbers by heart. It's the same for the betas, but I'm not going to fight the girl for my phone. I just need to find my mom.

She grabs my arm.

I scream, but no noise comes out. I'm paralyzed, watching her ice blue eyes shift between me and the baby. I forgot my pepper spray. Dammit. I brace myself.

"She needs..." Her voice is soft. Gentle. It comes out strained and croaky, like it hasn't been used in a while. Hesitant. Unsure. "She needs a doctor."

"Let go of me," I say.

"Please." She frowns. "I don't want to hurt you. I just—"

"Then let go of me." I glare at her. My heart's racing, but I'm not going to just sit here and be killed. If a werewolf doesn't want to let go of me, then I'll just break my arm trying to get away. My only option is to make her let go herself. I straighten up. "If you really don't want to cause problems, then I suggest you get your hands off of me." Does she know who I am?

"You..." She eyes me cautiously, tightening her grip. "You really are a human?"

"I really am the luna." I'm ready to say anything. All I'm thinking about is my Mom. She needs to run. Save herself. Get the brothers to avenge me...

The brothers.

I pale, staring at the girl in front of me who's probably a year or two younger. If she does something to me, she could kill them.

She furrows her brow, looking more hesitant than frustrated. "Luna," she corrects herself. "I know I've entered your territory without your permission, but..." She searches for words. "I haven't hurt anyone. I swear."

I gesture towards the store. "It doesn't look that way to me. Where are the workers?"

She looks at the floor.

Exactly. "Where are my pack members?" My tone gets harsher by the second, making the child stir.

"They're fine," she says firmly. "They're just..." She scratches her head. "Not really that conscious?"

"Are you serious?" And in the same breath she expects me to trust her?

"She needs food." She gestures towards the baby. "I'd pay, but I don't have money."

"Then you should've stayed by the borders like the rest of the refugees," I say.

Silence.

I narrow my eyes. "Or are you just an assassin?"

"I'm a refugee," she says quickly.

"Okay." I tug at my arm. "Then let me go."

"But—"

I widen my eyes, intimidatingly. I can't believe this is working.

Slowly, she releases her grip. I rub the sore area. She holds the baby closer.

"They say," she starts.

I raise an eyebrow.

She keeps talking. "They say you're nice. That you can get your alphas to do anything, just by glaring at them."

I don't know if I should tell her the truth just yet.

She hands me the child, even though every muscle in her body don't want to. She fights herself. "Make her a part of your pack. Please." She keeps her eyes down. "I'll leave, I swear. I just want her safe."