Chapter 4 | Friends

Walking into the Foster home, Zac didn't know what to expect. Were they going to be shy like her? Were they going to hate him instantly? He knew one sibling and knew of the other. He was just scared of those he didn't know.

Zac stared at Hailey's siblings. When she said they were six, she meant six. She had four brothers, two who are older than her. Zac was slightly intimidated by the look the eldest was giving him. He had heard of Josh Foster. His football coach talked very highly of him.

Josh was sixteen when he was forced to give everything up for his family. He quit football and began to build homes instead. He almost quit school, but pursued to finish his education. Zac's coach says that Josh was the greatest player he ever saw. Since that day, Josh had been his role model and now he was standing in front of him. He was kind of shocked but frightened.

"Joshie, this is Zac." Hailey said introducing the two. She watched as Josh glared at Zac. She gulped. Why did she bring him home so soon? They weren't even a couple. They were barely friends! What was she thinking?

"Zac Logan." Josh said narrowing his eyes. Zac felt highly uncomfortable. He didn't know what to say or do. Usually everyone loved him. "Captain of the football team."

"Yeah." He gulped. "Coach talks about you. He pushes me to be just like you."

"He does?" Josh asked. His intimidating glare vanished with surprise. Zac took that as a good sign.

"Yeah, I looked up to you when you still played. I told everyone I wanted to be as good as you." Zac told him honestly. Josh then smirked.

"Want me to sign something?" Josh teased. Hailey's eyes widened. Well that went better than she thought. Usually, Josh would go all psycho older brother before being comfortable around anyone she brought home.

"Maybe a picture sometime." Zac joked. Josh laughed, nodding. He felt like Josh liked him, which made him grin with happiness.

"Make yourself at home Zac. Welcome to the family. I'm going to go make burgers for dinner. Behave Hails." Josh said giving her a smirk. She felt her cheeks heat up. Josh would embarrass her.

"Alright, since Josh approves, I should too. I'm Ben." One of the guys said. He had blond hair and blue eyes. He was built like an athlete, but not a football player. He would have known him, or at least of him. He doesn't look much older than them.

"He plays baseball at the community college in town." Hailey told Zac. She could read Zac's calculating face. He was trying to figure out if he knew him. Zac wouldn't unless he watched baseball. She guessed Zac only knew of Josh because the entire state knew him. Josh was set to play professionally but gave it up to raise her and her siblings.

"Nice man. I played when I was in elementary school before I found football." Zac told Ben. Ben nodded. He could see that he was starting to accept him too. After all, Ben was the reason they were here.

"Not to burst your bubble, but Hailey prefers baseball over football." Ben said with a teasing tone. Hailey's eyes widened. Ben just had to go there.

When she had come home from the party, she felt amazing. The night had been great and Zac never left her side. She felt protected and wanted. She was starting to like the guy.

So Ben being Ben, asked how the party went. She explained how she didn't do anything illegal and danced the whole night. She even told him about her new friends. Ben then asked about Zac. She had given the answer through her cheeks. Ever since, Ben has teased her about her small crush on the boy.

"Ben, shut up." She said through gritted teeth. The two boys only laughed at her uncomfortableness.

"Oh don't worry. I'm sure i'll be able to persuade her." Zac said throwing an arm around her. He watched as her cheeks tinted even more. Zac caught on to her brother's words, feeling happy. Did that mean Hailey liked him back?