Chapter 6 | Crush

Four hours in and she was exhausted. Hailey didn't know the mall had so many stores with so many things to purchase. The girls were going crazy over everything: sales, clearance, colors, styles, and sizes! It made her brain hurt.

Bella was obsessed with buying Hailey dresses while Mariah wanted to buy her cute pairs of skinny jeans and pretty tops. Hailey said no to both. She didn't have the money for any of the outfits. She had only brought enough cash for a drink at Starbucks and that was a splurge.

They were currently in the coffee and tea store, enjoying a much needed break. She had ordered a grande mango black tea lemonade. The girls had insisted on buying her the larger size, but she denied it. She didn't like other people paying for her stuff.

"Hailey, we need to go back and buy that dress." Mariah pleaded. Hailey shook her head. It was way out of her price range plus her brothers would kill her if she walked out of the house in something like that. It emphasized her nonexistent curves and barely covered anything.

"You would look killer in it!" Bella added. Hailey continued to shake her head.

"No thank you. I'll just wear jeans and a t-shirt again." She told them. The girls gave her blank looks, causing her to roll her eyes.

"You can just borrow something because we are not letting you show up in jeans." Mariah said as she sipped on her venti iced latte. Bella nodded. She had ordered a venti strawberry açaí with lemonade. She let Hailey try some and she found it tasty, but not as good as her own drink.

Soon, the girls got into a somewhat comfortable silence. They were lost in their own thoughts, Hailey thinking about her potential outfits for the night. Maybe she should look for a dress that was within her price range and not too showy. She was about to comment it when moments later Bella broke the silence with a smirk.

"So that jersey?" Bella asked with a teasing tone. Hailey's cheeks quickly reddened. She was surprised it took them this long to bring it up.

After the game, they congratulated the boys before Hailey had to leave. They had no time to really talk about anything. She simply said congrats to Zac and the boys before walking off to find her eldest sibling. Josh was there to pick her and Luke up. He had watched the game and commented on the jersey when she found him. She told him that had Zac lent it to her because she didn't have any football team shirts. Luke eyed her curiously while Josh said that was nice of him. She didn't run into Ben when she got home, which she was thankful for. She was sure he'd start with his teasing and say Zac claimed her. She was positive that Zac didn't give her the jersey for that.

"What about the jersey?" Hailey asked. She knew exactly what they meant. She just didn't want to admit it.

"Don't play dumb Hails. Zac gave you his jersey to wear. Guys only do that when they claim a girl as theirs." Bella said. Mariah nodded in agreement.

"But i'm not his girl." Hailey defended. She felt her heart race at that thought. That can't be the reason Zac gave her the jersey. He said it was because she had no school gear, which was partly true. But, was he claiming her as his? She found herself smiling at that possibility, even if it was a very faint one.

"Oh but you are. You're grinning from ear to ear. You like him." Bella stated. Her cheeks only seem to redden. "You do, don't you?"

"I think I might have a small, itty bitty crush on Zac." Hailey mumbled to the girls. They stared at her with their mouths open. Was it really that hard to believe? They were just teasing her about him. Did they know something she didn't?

"Oh my god." Mariah finally spoke after a complete minute. Hailey stared at the two girls. She didn't know what else to say.

"This is perfect." Bella said. Hailey stared at the brunette. What is she talking about? "You will definitely look hot tonight."