Chapter 12 | Rewrite the Stars

The moment Zac walked into homeroom, he could sense something was wrong. He looked around and saw the twins. They had their heads down on their desks, probably sleeping. He didn't see Hailey nor Mariah. He especially didn't see Nate.

That little fucker has been ignoring them all. He knew it was because of Hailey. It had been over a month since their talk, well argument, and it looked like Nate wasn't going to be around them again. It made him angry that he lost a friend over a girl, but it wasn't any girl. It was Hailey. She was special.

"Wake the fuck up twins." Zac said as he slid into his usual seat. He heard a groan as Bella sat up. Evan stayed down. His snores were becoming louder by the second. "What's up with him?"

"We stayed up late playing video games. I kicked him out of my room during the day because Hailey and Mariah were over." Bella said. She rubbed her eyes, yawning.

"Hailey came over?" He asked. Bella nodded, smirking. "What did you guys do?"

"She told us something. For one," she said before whacking the back of his head. "You are a jerk."

"What did I do?" He asked while rubbing his head.

"Why haven't you asked her out? You let Jordan do it!" She said in a loud whisper. The room was beginning to fill up with students. As much as he wants everyone to know he's crazy about Hailey, he needs to tell her first. Besides, everyone is stupid if they don't know what the jersey means.

"I was going to and that cunt beat me to it." He said with a grimace. Bella sighed.

"Well looks like Nate is going to beat you too." Bella mumbled. His eyes widened.

"What? What do you mean?" He asked. Bella sighed. Did Nate tell them he liked her? Did he tell them about their argument? What did he do to Hailey? He was going to beat his ass if he did.

"Hailey said she hung out with him Sunday last week. He almost kissed her." Bella said with a sad tone. Usually he'd ask about it, but Hailey was the only thing on his mind. Was Hailey going to kiss him back?

"Does she like him?" He found himself asking. Bella was about to reply when they both heard Evan groan.

"I do not suggest sleeping on a desk." Evan said rubbing his face. "It sucks. I need to invest in a pillow."

"Wake up Evan. Class is about to start." Bella said. Evan groaned again. Zac saw the last of their friends walk in as the bell rang.

"Hey guys!" Mariah said. She slid in her usual spot, followed by Hailey. She had a conflicted look in her eye. He was about to ask her what was wrong when Jordan walked over.

"Hey Hails." Jordan said with a bright grin. Zac frowned.

"Hey." She whispered. Hailey knew what she had to do, but she couldn't find herself doing it. She had never broken up with someone. She didn't want to hurt his feelings. He really did seem like an amazing guy. He just wasn't the one for her.

"Can you meet me after school in the courtyard?" Jordan asked. She nodded with confusion. She opened her mouth to ask why when their homeroom teacher began to speak. She focused on the notes on the board, ignoring the nagging feeling in the pit of the stomach.

She had woken up perplexed. She felt that something very bad was going to happen today. She assumed it was going to be her telling Jordan that she only wants to be friends, but she never expected what was actually to come.

-

That horrible feeling in her stomach only intensified when she  saw Zac walk in. He looked angry, really angry. Sasha came in seconds later. Her stomach twisted in knots.