Chapter 19 | Walk with Me

The crowd of people were loud with excitement. Everyone was decked out in their future school's colors and gear. They were in the high school's auditorium, ready to watch all the student-athletes sign their lives away for the next four years. At least Zac was signing to his dream school.

He looked up at the stands and saw Hailey. She was wearing a green t-shirt with Michigan State's logo on it. When he realized what he had to do, he bought her one. He wanted her to be supporting him from home. His heart didn't feel whole when he thought about her being so far away. But Hailey was right, he couldn't keep buying her things, especially her college education. As much as he wanted to, he knew he couldn't.

The moment he met her, he knew she was different than all the other girls he had ever met. She wanted to be independent and earn things on her own. She had goals and plans for the future. She wanted to reach them by herself. She didn't want to be anyone's burden. He loved that about her. He wished she could understand that he would buy the moon for her if that's what she wanted. He'd travel mountains and oceans just to reach her. That's why in his heart, he knew that he had to choose Michigan State.

Hailey would make a life on her own. She wouldn't need him. He knew that at the end of school, she'd still be there for him. They loved each other too much to just all let it all go to waste. They were going to do the long distance thing. It'd give Hailey the chance to do things herself, while still being with him. It'll all work out. It needed to work out.

"Alright, can all the athletes please report to their assigned table." Someone said over the speakers. There was rustling as everyone took their seats. He looked up and smiled at the love of his life. She grinned back. Just seeing her made him sure that this was all worth it. It would all be for her.

He fixed the hat on his head and looked out at the crowd. He saw his friends' parents sitting with happy grins. Nate was also in the stands supporting him. Nate hadn't agreed to any school. He wouldn't be playing football. Nate liked the sport, but not enough to continue playing it for four years. He still wasn't sure what he wanted to do with his life. For now, he would go to school undeclared.

Evan was somewhere in the room at his own table. He would continue to play football while learning. He was definitely the one to most be looking forward to furthering his education. Mariah also had her own table. She was signing to play college soccer at NYU. She screamed when she received the offer. She didn't think she'd continue playing, but knew it was fate to when she received the email from the coach.

While he searched the crowd of people, Zac saw his mom. She was sitting a few seats away from Hailey. That reminded him. They were yet to meet. He watched as his mom whipped out her phone and began to snap photos of him. He chuckled to himself. Those would surely be all over Facebook within the hour.

He looked back over at Hailey, feeling his heart race. She looked gorgeous in green. He just wanted to have her in his arms and kiss her until the end of time. He didn't know how he would last without her once he was at university.

"Alright, we will begin with the football portion." The announcer said. It was one of the many vice principals of the school.  He didn't understand why so many were needed. Was there really that many jobs for them to do? They already have a big enough stuff as it is. Why do they need 6 vice principals?w

"Our first student is Zachary Logan. He was our star quarterback and team captain for three years. He is at the top of his class, with a 4.0 GPA and on the path to become our class of 2019 Valedictorian. Zac has chosen to attend Michigan State University, where he plans to continue playing football as well as major in Biology. Congratulations Zachary Logan."

The whole room erupted in claps and whistles. He grabbed the pen that was waiting for him. He placed it on the line to sign. He looked up at Hailey. She was smiling at him as she wiped tears away. This was breaking her heart as much as it was breaking his. He took a deep breath as people waited for his signature to appear on the sheet. He watched as she mouthed "I love you" to him. He then signed. That was the last little push of encouragement he needed.