Chapter 11

PSA: I'll be honest, I don't care for redemption stories. Hah, the irony considering I'm writing one. I feel like in real life abusive people statistically just do not change as much as people think. All that potential for change is what keeps people in the cycle of abuse because they mistake the fleeting good times for actual change. This is just a story of course but nothing justifies violence not even in this story set in a war zone. 

__________________________________________________

Jza buried her face in the soft material and exhaled. Behind her the glass was still tinkering as the multiple layers of chandelier dismantled slowly after the explosive beginning and settled into the ground. This was a dramatic turn of events and the Princess willed her heart to slow down. She was content to lay there trying to get her bearings when she heard another dull sort of thudding sound. She raised her head up realising it was Tarquin's heartbeat.

The man stared back at her with a shocking lack of expression. Was that his default expression she wondered before shaking her head. No, she had seen enough of him to know he was a master at hiding what he felt. She pushed herself off him and surveyed the destruction behind her. The chandelier was a beautiful mangled mess. Jza brushed off remnants of the glass on her person.

"You seem to have gotten more accident prone of late," Lord Tarquin was up on his feet in a heartbeat while she still struggled to straightened her skirts. He watched her endeavours to get on her feet blandly. Behind them multiple guards ran into the room with varying expressions of shock.

"Accident prone? That doesn't seem like an accident at all. If I were a betting person I would think someone just tried to kill you," Jza asserted.

"Kill me? It would be best if you keep away from gambling since you would lose quite poorly. It was not I who came under an entire book shelf, recently."

"Surely you don't think-" Jza was cut off with a sneer.

"Take her back to the quarters," The man ordered and like an unruly child she was walked back to their rooms. The last thing she heard was him angrily growling orders in his own language.

______________________________________________

Jza woke up gradually. Her head felt heavy but a soothing pressure nearly lulled her back to sleep when her eyes sprang open. Was that a hand on her head? The Princess found herself reclining squarely in the middle of the bed with two pillows propped under her head. She looked around and found Lord Tarquin lounging on an uncomfortable chair a comfortable distance away from her. 

"When did you come back? You should have woken me up?" The Princess glanced at the curtains and realised it was night time already. How long had she slept for? She certainly had spent a great while pacing in her rooms before feeling completely drained and deciding to take a nap. She noticed an untouched plate of food on one table.

"That's the least I can do for you after what you did today. What do you want from me?" Prince Tarquin said, curtly.

"Pardon?"

"Your services must have a price. Everyone must have one. Other than freedom what do you want?"

Jza's brown eyes travelled to his throat. The chain around his neck dangled down to his chest hidden from view even in the informal outfit he only wore in their rooms. Both of them knew what she would ask for.

"No, I cannot allow you to have the locket either."

"Why? It has no significance whatsoever," Jza lied, "I do not understand your fascination with a meaningless bit of jewelry."